• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing an old gi to a new dojo

A. Orstrom

Dear all

After four years without karate I have decided to begin anew.

I used to train aikido for three years and moved to kyokushin for four and a half years, but my schedule got the better of me, so I started training with weights in the evening instead.

This time I would like to try goju-ryu, partly because it was the first style I wanted to try and partly because the dojo is closer to my new home than my old kyokushin dojo is. It means that I will have to change styles and begin all over, but I am really looking forward to learning new things and dusting of old techniques.

The thing is; all my dogi are with the Kyokushin calligraphy and/or the Kanku. Would you view it as disrespectful to visit a new dojo in a different style with another style's calligraphy? It would be a temporary measure, and I would obviously wear a white belt, but I do not want to start off on the wrong foot. Alternatively I would wear the training trousers and a white T-shirt.

What is your take on this?

__

Alexander

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Alex, I would as you suggested, where Gi pants and a T-shirt to begin with would definitely be the best route. Once you been there a few weeks/months maybe with the permission of your new Sensei wear you "old" Gi when your new Gi is in the wash. OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'd give a call and ask. If you're just trying out, I can't imagine someone would mind. Still, you never know. If you show up and ask, you can't go wrong. Your odds are probably better since it's just writing and not association patches, ect.

I don't see a problem with it for the first few trial classes because it's not expected for you to have the proper gear. I would think a t-shirt would be acceptable, but again depends. The dojo I attend issues its own t-shirts with all the calligraphy to members so they can be worn in place of the gi top. Unless the gi bottom is in the wash, torn, lost or some other mishap, it's required for members.

Since you're starting out though, I don't think the sensei would mind. You may be allowed to wear your kyukoshin gi as a back-up gi.

Hello all and thanks for the input.

I turned up at the new dojo in my old kyokushin gi and and a white belt, and the instructor was fine with that. He told me that I was entitled to wear my old belt as well as long as I was wearing that gi, but that he liked my attitude of wearing a white belt. It turns out that quite a few of the senior members of the dojo started out in kyokushin, so we had a long chat afterwards.

We did an entire class on self-defence combinations with sweeps, chokes and locks, which we rarely did in my kyokushin class, and I had a great time. I will be returning to train with them tomorrow and I am seriously considering joining them.

Thanks again - it feels great to be back

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is why I never get anything stitched onto my gi, you can only really use it at one Dojo or for one style.

Some people like to do one main style and dip their toe every so often in others. While I am proud of my Dojo and my style, my Gi is mine and is merely a uniform of martial arts, not of a particular martial art.

Probably not a popular opinion though! :wink:

I'm with DoctorQui on this one.

However, I do have patches of my dojos. They are mile markers of my journey in Kempo.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

This is why I never get anything stitched onto my gi, you can only really use it at one Dojo or for one style.

Some people like to do one main style and dip their toe every so often in others. While I am proud of my Dojo and my style, my Gi is mine and is merely a uniform of martial arts, not of a particular martial art.

Probably not a popular opinion though! :wink:

I see what you are saying here, but our school requires the patches to be on the uniforms. So, what would be a better option, in my opinion, for those who like to dip elsewhere, is keep a plain white gi in your possession so you don't have to worry about it.