• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much do you pay for karate?

BarbedTerror

Each class I attend is $10. I train 3 times per week.

It works out to about $130 per month.

How much does you karate, or any other martial art training cost?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dollar is pretty close to parity with the US dollar. My dojo is incredibly inexpensive and even more so given the location as it is around $50.00 per month unlimited classes/ or $10 per class if you pay by class. If people only understood what a bargain traditional martial arts training is. You are in many cases getting close to a personal trainer with your gym membership if you will.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I charged $40/month for 2, two hour classes/week. Works out to about $2.50/hour.or $5/class

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

During the 12 years that I leased 2,500 square foot of commercial space to run my part-time dojo, there were more than a few years that I paid thousands to teach.

Training under my teacher, rates ran from $3 per class to $5 per class. I've spent thousands and thousands traveling to train with others, including to Okinawa, travelling with my teacher to branch dojos in Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Canada and in the USA to teach (many years 2-4 trips a year).

That said, the $ means little if you can find a great teacher that you resonate with, that is willing to teach you his art without reservation.

I was charging my students $65/month back in 1990, with no fees for grading, or special classes, etc. I'm now up to $85/month. There are dojos charging in excess of $300/month or more in my area.

Chris

My Dojo the students pay £7 a week or £25 a month for 2 lessons a week.

We are a not for profit school, the gradings are £10 (Dan Tests cover the cost of the room hire, certificate and belt) the Annual insurance is £10 (unless it increases drastically)

Can't understand how some schools can charge so much for the same thing AND get away with it!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I charged $40/month for 2, two hour classes/week. Works out to about $2.50/hour.or $5/class

This is what we charge. I allow the students to pay by the class or the month and carry over some of the credit to the next month as long as it's not excessive. That's what I paid back in the early/mid '90s when I started training. In our town that allows us to rent a small, upstairs space and occasionally buy some new equipment.

If the economy ever improves we may have to raise rates to keep the lights on.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

It's about what the market will bear. Prices, of course, fluctuate based on local. The rural area where I grew up had prices so low a commercial club couldn't even make lease where I live now, let alone pay for lights, advertising, insurance, ect. Let alone let the operator make money.

Not every place is, or should be, a not-for-profit operation. There's no reason that someone shouldering the risk of running a school shouldn't be compensated.

There's no real "letting" anyone get away with it. It's just what people will pay.