• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Target Selection!!

While speed is important; target selection and the accuracy of where and how it's delivered to any said target is far more important.

Iyho, Yes OR no? And why?

Let the discussion begin.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well you need to have a real opening in an effective spot, and then you need the speed to take advantage of it, haha! But if you are just moving fast with no power or technique, it's probably going to be garbage. If you're hitting in an ineffective spot, also likely garbage.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

While speed is important; target selection and the accuracy of where and how it's delivered to any said target is far more important.

Iyho, Yes OR no? And why?

Let the discussion begin.

:)

Speed without accuracy is going to be inefficient and inaccurate, but also having accuracy but not the speed to get into the target isn't going to work either.

You need both.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

To quote the Patriot: "Aim small, miss small."

Don't aim for the head. Hit the left eye, and I mean the eye. If you "miss" you still land a solid shot. Aim for the bottom corner of the floating rib, if you "miss" it's still a good body shot. Hitting "the body" isn't a target. It's an idea of what to do.

You need speed enough to hit the opening. Knowledge enough to know the effect that hit will have. Accuracy enough to actually hit it. Power enough to actually do something when it lands. Timing/perception enough to take advantage of the opening before it's gone or all of the above won't matter. It's why we train, because if it were simple and easy, everyone would do it.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Agreed.

I believe this could be thought of as the Ma-ai concept. Its about tying together all of speed, accuracy, power and distancing to achieve a "perfect hit" (if there is such a thing).

Bruce Lee (in teh Tao of Jeet Kun Do) notes an interesting point about speed, saying that people who just strike continually with speed often end up 'blocking' themselves....

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Agreed.

I believe this could be thought of as the Ma-ai concept. Its about tying together all of speed, accuracy, power and distancing to achieve a "perfect hit" (if there is such a thing).

Bruce Lee (in teh Tao of Jeet Kun Do) notes an interesting point about speed, saying that people who just strike continually with speed often end up 'blocking' themselves....

Interested by what you mean when you say they 'block' themselves.

Is it to do with them continually striking and so not seeing the chance for something more effective?

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

Not just that, I also note that when people set out to move fast, their structure tends to fail on them and not be used properly. As a result, they throw a series of lightning-fast strikes, none of which would make a four year old cry on the receiving end let alone drop a resisting target.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Ok, I can see how speed would take away from power just didnt quite understand how they would be blocking themselves. Think I may have been thinking too literally though. :)

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

Its looking like a good thread, I will abstain from answering until a few more replies are added

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Don't aim to be fast. Aim to be smooth. Smooth is fast.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."