• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amount of training for karate tournament?

BarbedTerror

I am a 7th Kyu (Ho) and am currently participating in tournament training. How long should I train with the tournament squad before entering?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

7th Kyu ho, if its GKR, it doesn't take much to be at the standard for your level.

If you were doing Knockdown or K-1 tournaments you would need around 12 weeks of 6 days a week training

If its your first tourne, just enjoy it and don't worry about winning so much

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

It depends on how you normally train, what you will be competing in and how tough the competition will be. I generally try to practice my kata and spar enough on a regular basis that I do not really do anything special to prepare for tournaments, but competition also isn't really important to me. We have the kids on our Tournament Team meet up once a week (in addition to their normal classes) for 6 weeks to prepare for tournaments, generally, just so they can get extra practice in and also practice how to bow in, announce, get scores, etc.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The answer really depends on how well you want to do and what your goals are. If you're referring to kata competition, then Wastelander seems to have good advice; I can't really help you there.

If you're looking at sparring or free fighting I have a bit more insight. Any time I lead up to a tourney of any kind, I go from 3ish times per week to 5ish. This should ALL be tournament specific training. That means no sd stuff, no weapons (unless that's involved of course) :)

Make sure you adjust your diet accordingly to both make weight (if this is a concern) and fuel your increase in training. For me, this means an increase in protean while I'm more diligent with my lifting during this time frame.

As to how long this goes on, again, it depends. I used to go a full 8 weeks at that pace. 5 times plus on the mat, plus extra cardio to make weight, plus weights. It's too much now. I can't recover and you HAVE to budget that in.

Now, I've moved the plan for the next run up for six weeks. I'd suggest start with a 4 week camp for your first tournament. You're at the rank level where that will be okay. You'll start to have a better feel about how your body learns and adapts for comps after you get this one out of the way. Then you can ramp up longer as you rank up.

The biggest thing to do, especially at your level and at your first tournament, is to have fun. Don't stress about the outcome, you'll be surprised how liberating it is.

There are about two tournaments I do each year that I really want to do well in. I prioritize training for comps around those. Then I'll do one or two others. These I'm not even worried about. I walk on the mat at whatever weight I happen to be at on that day, I don't alter my training in the run up, ect. I just go to have fun, hang out with the team and work on relaxing during the fight. That's it.

This leads to that liberated spot where you're not concerned about the outcome.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your train up and tournament.

As said before, it depends heavily on your current training regiment and intensity. For katas, try to either video-tape yourself or have a higher-belt tell you the faults you've made. Don't try and do a very advanced kata that you have only practiced a few times. I also browse online for YouTube videos of well-known individuals performing katas if I cant have someone else or my sensei assist me, such as Higaonna Sensei.

For sparring, try to get hold of the tournament's sparring rules because different dojos sometimes put their own twist on things. If you have sufficient time before the tournament, try to improve the techniques you have greater trouble with but don't neglect techniques you're better at. Ideally, chat with any other members of your dojo who already participated in a tournament and to ask whether there were any techniques many competitors did not use. For example, and this may not be true for your competition, previous competitors may have rarely used any sort of ashi barai or throw.

Lastly and most importantly, relax. I know it's easier said than done but you can be your own worst enemy. Relax, have fun and don't focus on the outcome.

When I was active, I trained EVERYDAY for the month that the tourney was being held. Tourneys back then were held monthly, so while I trained everyday, I put in an enormous amount of time without neglecting my students.

My weekend warrior days, well, that's different because tourney's were held every weekend. So we trained as much as we could, and that meant balancing school, homework, chores, and classes at the Hombu.

For my students that are quite interested in tourney's, I'll give them as much insight and advice as I can, but their tourney training is entirely up to them. If they want to place/win then they better train quite seriously or the only thing they'll accomplish is holding a spot on the competitors list for that days tourney.

Kumite: Spar until the wheels fall off with as many different classmates as you can. You have to experience what it's like to be attacked and what it's like to attack; this won't happen over night. KNOW THE RULES for Kumite; the lack thereof has ended any chance of advancement in the tourney. Have the appropriate gear, for that too has dashed many dreams before they even began. Spar within THAT TOURNEY'S rules. Have a set of solid combo's to attack/counterattack with. WATCH THE OUT OF BOUNDS area; excessive running away from an attack will get you a few warnings before you'll be disqualified. Angle away from attacks, then counter...don't run away!! Different Kumite divisions require a different mindset, i.e. Team Kumite, full contact, semi-full contact and the like.

Kata: Wear a CLEAN and pressed Gi!! Know the KATA!! Practice your Kata's until the wheels fall off!! Winning Kata requires some showmanship...you've got to sell yourself to the judges. Be crisp in your bows!! Use a loud and clear voice!! Walk smartly to the judges!! Remember to bow to the judges when you EXIT the ring!! Different Kata divisions require different mindset, i.e. Team Kata, Musical Kata, Weapons Kata. On Weapons Kata, DON'T DROP THE WEAPON unless it's part of the Kata, and in that, you've got to tell the judges that you are going to drop the weapon and sometimes, where in the Kata you are going to drop the weapon. If you forget the Kata or you drop the weapon, ask the center judge if you may begin again; don't just start again...that'll dash any trophy dreams quickly. If you're doing tourney's that use compulsory rules; you better know each and every Kata on the list and know them well!!

Train hard...or go home!!

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!