• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other anglers?

TheKarateAngler

Just wondering if anybody else on here likes to waste a day chasin fish aswell, or am i alone in this other never ending challenge (a challenge that the fish are currently winning at). :)

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I absolutely love it. There is not much of a better way to spend a summer afternoon. The past couple of years have largely been spent teaching my kids and hunting panfish more than anything else, but this has been rewarding in it's own right.

And quite frankly far easier than chasing sports fish :lol:

What is the fishing scene like where you're at in the UK? I've never fished out of the midwest US really.

My girlfriend does, which gives me a chance to do some of my favorite things, napping under a shade tree, and later, eating.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I absolutely love it. There is not much of a better way to spend a summer afternoon. The past couple of years have largely been spent teaching my kids and hunting panfish more than anything else, but this has been rewarding in it's own right.

And quite frankly far easier than chasing sports fish :lol:

What is the fishing scene like where you're at in the UK? I've never fished out of the midwest US really.

Cant argue that there's no better way to spend a nice summer day than at the side of a lake with a rod in 1 hand and a cold beer in the other. :D

In the UK most people fish exclusively for carp (which I've been told are apparently classed as vermin in the US?), but i like to fish for anything that happens to bite. :)

We also mainly use bait, whereas I believe US anglers prefer lures? Lures are only really used by pike and zander anglers in the UK, but even they prefer to use a dead or live bait.

Nice one teaching the kids, I'm hoping to get my lil bro started in a couple years when he's old enough to sit still for 5 mins. :)

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

Are you kidding? I can barely set still for 5 min :lol: . The beer helps though :wink: .

Yes, by and large no one really fishes for carp on purpose. Although I'm told they are more popular in the south east as an actual fish to hunt. In central Illinois, they are fished just to thin the numbers which are growing obnoxious.

Lures or live are largely the pick of the angler. However, I don't think you can argue the heavy bent towards lures for most people. For stuff like bass it's nearly unheard of to sport anything but lures. Cats get more live bait treatment. It's spawned that popular catch phrase of "a lure doesn't have to catch a single fish, it only has to catch one fisherman".

I've never done much with pike or the other large game fish so I'm not certain how that plays out.

I haven't really done much fishing for preds except for perch so i wont say that I know all about it, but that's what they generally use. Lures only really get used as far as I know when exploring a knew awter that is known to contain preds (looking for ambush points etc), but after that most people here will use live or dead baits.

I personally like to fish a non-selective bait such as sweetcorn with groundbait in the feeder on a quivertip rod and see what happens, but the carp boys like to turn up with a tent and chuck out a big bait then go to bed :-?