• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking problems

TheKarateAngler

Hi I was just wondering if anybody could help with the height of my kicks.

I cant get any higher than my stomach with my right leg or my waist with my left leg.

My instructor tells me I've just got to keep working on flexibility and leg strength and eventually the height will come. But i was just wondering if anyone knew a quick solution to improving height when kicking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most of us beginners are struggling with the same issue.

It's not technique related but a flexibility issue that takes time to develop to a sufficient level and is different for everyone.

Don't rush it and take your time but never forget to dedicate time in streching properly before AND after training.

myself included!

It takes time my friend and as you get older it starts to reverse too hehehe

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thanks for the reply's. I was just hoping that there might be a way to speed it up.

O well i suppose i will just have to patient :(

The 2 best times to go fishing are when its raining and when it isn't raining... the same can be said for karate

Thanks for the reply's. I was just hoping that there might be a way to speed it up.

O well i suppose i will just have to patient :(

Try Yoga or Pilates alongside you Karate 'may' quicken your required results

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hi I was just wondering if anybody could help with the height of my kicks.

I cant get any higher than my stomach with my right leg or my waist with my left leg.

My instructor tells me I've just got to keep working on flexibility and leg strength and eventually the height will come. But i was just wondering if anyone knew a quick solution to improving height when kicking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i know the feeling. I'm in my 40s and am currently training for my 1st Dan and my flexibility is appalling, I can, with effort mawashi shoulder height but it is painful.

If you're young, flexibility will come however, being able to kick high does not automatically mean that your technique is good. Technique is key, work on that and the secondary flexibility will follow!

Hi the best thing is regular leg stretching,get yourself a leg stretcher,I have a basic version which I use regularly at home in between training sessions.Dont try and push yourself to much just bit at a time.

When I initially started karate, I could barely pull off a decent chudan mawashi geri with either leg. After stretching and practicing for a few years, I can now do a jodan mawashi geri with both legs, although with my left leg there's very little power and quite a lot of pain down my entire leg due to past events.

Try to focus more on your technique rather than flexibility. Being very flexible doesn't necessarily mean you will have greater technique for katas, bunkai or kumite.

Strength is what gets the leg up. Flexibility is what keeps you from hurting yourself. Work the kick one step at a time. First work on getting that knee up as high as you can. Once you feel you can get that knee up as high as you can at a respectable speed, then work on the leg extension. Start by keeping your leg straight and lifting it as high as you can until you feel a tightness in your hamstring. That is the maximum height you want to try to kick at until you build your flexibility in your hamstring. Regular stretching and calisthenics should help build your flexibility. Once you can get rid of that hamstring resistance, work on building your quad muscles (the ones that get you to extend your leg). I find squat kicks are good for this. Once you feel that you've developed all the necessary basics, put them all together slowly (step by step if you have to). Focus on good technique and try to get feedback on your technique from your sensei/sempai. Once you got good solid technique going for you, gradually speed it up and you should be good.