• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Student

SoTexGuy

Hey all,

First post ever here. I just started classes this week and my third is tomorrow night. A little about me, I am 32 (I'm actually kind of embarrased to be starting classes this late and going to classes at all). I started to lose weight ( I am way too heavy) and 2 lessons in I am hooked and want to learn more. My instructor told us the form of Karate we were learning but I forgot it and would like to research it more before my Friday night class. He mentioned that it roughly translates to "do what you can do". Any help is appreciated! I'm pumped to keep learning! Apparently I have one heck of a powerful side kick!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You have all kinds of time to research the art later. Find out the name and let us know after the next class.

No need to be embarrassed by learning to fight at 32. I'm 30, and I recently discovered that I like My Little Pony. Life is too long to worry about those things.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Welcome to both KarateForums and more importantly the world of Martial Arts. Don't worry about your age, there is not wrong time to start training and looking our for yourself. I know your excited, but you have a lifetime ahead of you to learn about your art. Don't rush it, enjoy your new passion and dive into your training. Talk with your instructor, he probably has some good information for you.

When you find out your styles name, there are plenty of resources out thereto aid you. There are also other resources that will provide you with good information. Under the General Martial Arts section of this forum there is a recommended library list, some good books / articles there. Take a look through and you should be able to find something to peak your interest. Be it history, philosophical, technical, etc.

Enjoy.

Just to let you know, I started Judo at the grand young age of 41, so you got some years on me yet

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Hey, its good to hear you got started in the Martial Arts! Don't worry about your age, or your weight. Hard work and the enjoyment involved will overcome all that other stuff. Glad to have you here! :karate: