• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructional question

arkangelx

I think some BJJ gyms do have more formal grading though.

I know there's something in a local grouping of them also, that students go through after passing, where they have to take their shirt off and go through a gauntlet of all the other students, who beat them with their belts, LOL!

Dan ranking today involves an individual day for the student going up for their dan rank. Shodan has a minimum of 10 fights, but usually it's way more than that. Anyone who wants to fight can show up and fight the student going up for rank. The last one who went up for rank fought 29 people in a row.

When they want you to go up for a dan rank, at this dojo, they tell you a year in advance, to give you time to get ready. Then they put you through the WRINGER! Haha.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

True, there is some variation in ranking in BJJ. Most gyms however do tend towards the informal. It is pretty nice actually, I'll always trend more towards those informal gyms.

I have seen the gauntlet thing. It's not standard, but there is a certain amount of clubs that do it.

All

Most Organisations only allow Dan Grades to award to 2 levels below them so a Shodan (1st dan) would only be able to grade to 2nd Kyu (Nikyu)

and a 2nd Dan to 1st Kyu etc

that's my take on it anyways

OSU

I concur!!

In Shindokan, a 5-member BOARD containing, for example, two Godans can rank someone to Godan providing a Nanadan/Hachidan is part of that authoritative board. Inasmuch, a 5-member BOARD of 5 Godans, can't issue a Godan; it's not a consensus board, a ranking member must be present or the rank is void.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!