• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transitioning from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu

JustLuke

I have a brown belt (2nd kyu) in Shotokan and I'm about to switch to Shorin-Ryu. I've been told that I can keep my existing rank, which is great, but I'm wondering how different the two styles actually are and, more to the point, what difficulties I might encounter making the switch.

Does anyone here have any experience switching from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They both have the same origins, so there should be a lot of similarity. Of course this can vary greatly from school to school. My advice would be to start as a white belt and get your feet wet, get comfortable and then worry about putting on another belt.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I have a brown belt (2nd kyu) in Shotokan and I'm about to switch to Shorin-Ryu. I've been told that I can keep my existing rank, which is great, but I'm wondering how different the two styles actually are and, more to the point, what difficulties I might encounter making the switch.

Does anyone here have any experience switching from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

The stances are quite different as they tend to be higher and more natural. You will also have to relearn some kata--the Pinan/Heian series are done differently, in particular, but I don't know what kata you know beyond those. Overall, I think you will also find Shorin-Ryu to be a bit more fluid and circular than you are used to, as well. We actually had a Shotokan black belt visit our dojo last night and these were the things he found difficult to adjust to.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

When I began full time training with my present Okinawa Goju Sensei back in the mid-80's, I was already a shodan in another Okinawa Goju lineage. I asked him if I could wear a white belt. He said no.

From my perspective I wanted to begin at ground zero and was afraid that he and other seniors would assume certain knowledge, resulting in gaps in my training.

From his perspective, by putting on a blackbelt, I would be forced to "rise to the occasion".

Chris

Justluke- I'm in the same situation. I was a 5th kyu in Shotokan 20 plus years ago and just resumed training. My current sensei holds black belts in Shotokan and Shorin-ryu. His system is more geared towards Shorin Ryu. He spent a lot of time with me teaching me the Pinan versions of the katas, but he understands that my basics were from the Shotokan system. I find it difficult to adjust to the shorter stances and kicks from the front leg. Also, Shotokan taught us to step backwards to block an attack. My system makes us step into the block and counter (more practical, IMO).

There are more circular movements (Shorin Ryu originated from Shoalin Monks' gung fu), so there are hook blocks and more grabs and throws than I am used to.

In my 2nd class, he could see that my basics were actually better than most of his high ranked students, so he told me to wear my purple belt. But I declined and said I'd rather start at the bottom and earn a rank in his system. I tested 2 months later and got my blue belt (5th kyu in his system) which gives me a 5th kyu rank in Shorin Ryu as well as Shotokan.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I've had the oppoprtunity to work with several top notch Shotokan sensei, and believe me, there are HUGE differences between the two systems.

Nothing that can't be overcome with a lot of effort, but you'll have to relearn your entire way of thibnking, from stances to blocks, kicks to strikes, and just moving your body from Popint A to Point B is different.

If you can make the adjustment, I think you're goibng to absolutely LOVE Shorin Ryu.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.