• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KI Power

Sorry, myths aren't necessarily of a religious nature, Ken.

A myth is any imaginary person or thing spoken of as if existing, sometimes based on an historical event. Under your definition, Babe the blue ox could be considered a relgious element. Or, for that matter, so could Beowulf and Grendel.

Philosophy is a form of academia that's used to analyse and understand things such as religion, w/o needing to believe what you're studying.

I know that you're not religious and so I would never debate religion with you. But just b/c you think that Chi has to be religious doesn't mean that it is. It's an element of philosophy that may or may not be influenced by religious belief.

- Jennifer :smile:

Life is jest and all things show it.

I thought so once, but now I know it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jennifer.....you are a breath of freash air.

welcome and i look forward to your input.

humble respects with a bow :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

To believe such a thing exists, to base your actions upon it makes it a religious belief. It's the same as believing in the breath of God or devine power. Oh well, my point in the first place is that I don't believe that Chi exists and that the only thing humans can control is our own bodies. Some people believe in Chi can make themselves do strength feats, but that's not really chi, it's the power of the human mind.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

You are entitle to your beliefs.

But those of us who have used it..kow it works.

It is not the same though as the Breath of God. But since you don't believe in religion...you would understand that...one is an energy force..that can be biuld up...however...without the so Breath of God..you wou not be alive to biuld it up.

The actual breath of God is the air that sustains life itself....but you are correct..it it pointless to discuss energy..and the such..with those who do not wish to listen..and think they have all the answer.s :lol:

Peace,

Tae

Kyoshi Deborah R. Williams 7th Dan

Founder/Senoir Instructor Tae Su Jutsu

Board member International Martial arts Association.

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."

Proverbs 18:12

Such things can only be contemplated on and speculations made. The proof is never 100% and when "chi" power does work, it is rarely (if ever) able to be duplicated.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Thanks for the compliment, Rushman. :grin:

I meant to use the phrase in a metaphorical sense, not to appear to be making a statement of religious fact. Of course, one is entitled to accept or reject the analogy according to one's belief structure. Now that I look at it, I should've written "non-denominational Judeo-Christian" etc. I apologize to any Semetic people out there. It was a mindless omission, not a deliberate one.

Tae, your statement brings up some very interesting questions. You describe "the breath of God" as air. By that do you mean an oxygen rich atmosphere? I ask b/c, among other examples, there are some organisms that live in a methane rich environment. And I believe some bacteria can live in a vacuum. If I remember Genesis correctly, God created the Earth, plants, animals, etc. before He "breathed life into Adam." So before Adam, how did all the plants and animals respirate? Or does your interpretation refer only to human life? Your decription sounds like a fundamentalist interpretation. May I ask what denomination you are? I was raised Roman Catholic and phrases like "the breath of God", and in fact the entire book of Genesis, was explained in a much more figurative sense.

Ken, you also bring up an interesting point.

Let's assume that Chi is, in fact, just a human mental function and not energy.

Brain activity produces electrical impulses which travel along neural pathways and fire off charges at the synapses. Electricity is a form of energy. If Chi is a function of the mind, then it's a form of energy. So, within your parameters Chi has proven it's own existance. To further the point, while still remaining within your parameters, brain function is energy that's necessary to human life. And b/c it's a proven scientific fact it must be believed in. So it could be construed that thought itself is a religious occurrance.

And your last statement, "such things can only be contemplated" etc., That's exactly what philosophy is, contemplation of ideas, beliefs, and customs.

- Jennifer :smile:

Life is jest and all things show it.

I thought so once, but now I know it.

LOL,

The last thing you ever want to call me is a Fundalmentalist. They do not think that way..and would ride me on a rail for stating it as such. They take the bible literally..I don't.

I am an ordained non-denominational minster..and I have a Doctorate in Theology. The statement came from the theology club that I belong to..we have been discussing what the phrase means in the bible...so we decided that since God created Adom(Hebrew), that it more that like means he breathed air into his lungs.

But like I said..the fundies would kill me for that. Oh well, I belong to a Southern Baptist church..but I go everywhere..including Mass(my late husband was Catholic).

I am by far just a Christian. I do however, tend to follow the teachings of Christ..over the Doctrine of Paul. :nod:

Peace,

Tae :karate:

Now you are just adapting your definition of Chi energy. Everything can be broken down into energy, mass can be converted to energy. Your arguement is a fallacy. If I were religious then I could use your arguement to "prove" that demons give people energy. Brains have electrical patterns, therefore it's energy, therefore it is from demons. Get the drift? You haven't presented a good arguement that last post.

The energy that people have is generated by the digestion and breakdown of food, which is then converted into chemical energy and then electrical energy of the neuro-system. There is no "CHI" there.

Belive what you want..but it is not the same..if you were realigious you would know that.

Also Demons don't have the power of people that a lot of people think they do. They have no Power we do not give them. :lol:

Chi is a force not a religion....but not belieg religiuos..you will never understand the difference.

Peace,

Tae

• 2 months later...
Just a note .. not all the abilities attributed to ki are actually spiritual - we practise some techniques at our dojo such as making ourselves too heavy to lift or making our arms unbendable and even I can manage them. It has more to do with co-ordinating muscle and will power, but I don't know about the other stuff. Also I've heard about the kiai (a magical shout that stops an opponent dead in his tracks) and apparently this can also be attributed to instinct .. as apes we learned to stop dead and listen when a loud, sudden noise occurs at the right frequency. :eek: