• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata / bunkai question

GeterDone

I was watching a few Youtube videos of the kata I recently was taught in the dojo, Seiyunchin (Goju-Ryu) and I'm curious about one of the movements that's done right at the very end. I'm not sure what it's called or if it even has a name but you can see it at 1:57 in this video of the kata and bunkai performed by Higoanna Sensei. It's where he steps into neko ashi dachi, raises his hands above his head and then angles them toward each other resembling a pyramid at his chest level. I'm not sure if it's used in the bunkai to push the partner away or if it's just a fancy way to finish the kata. Is there a meaning or purpose behind it anyone can shed light on?

I just thought of this question today but won't be able to ask my sensei until Tuesday. :karate: Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was watching a few Youtube videos of the kata I recently was taught in the dojo, Seiyunchin (Goju-Ryu) and I'm curious about one of the movements that's done right at the very end. I'm not sure what it's called or if it even has a name but you can see it at 1:57 in this video of the kata and bunkai performed by Higoanna Sensei. It's where he steps into neko ashi dachi, raises his hands above his head and then angles them toward each other resembling a pyramid at his chest level. I'm not sure if it's used in the bunkai to push the partner away or if it's just a fancy way to finish the kata. Is there a meaning or purpose behind it anyone can shed light on?

I just thought of this question today but won't be able to ask my sensei until Tuesday. :karate: Thanks

That is yama-uke (mountain receiving technique--it looks like the shape of a mountain, so it's easy to remember) and I do a slightly different version of Seiunchin (

) but it does have that in it after a push. I use it to break down someone's grips on my neck, shirt or arms and pull them down into hiza-geri (I know there isn't a hiza-geri in the kata, but I am of the school of thought that neko-ashi-dachi signifies that you should be using the lead leg for something). The motion does not necessarily have to be done with both hands, at least not for my application for it since how you use it depends on how they grab you. Since that version goes straight into fist-to-palm yoi, you can always grab their face and smash it with your fist in case smashing it with your knee didn't work.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thank you very much wastelander! Your Youtube video helped me to understand the described usage of yama-uke. Your version was a bit different, however, many of the movements were easily recognizable. I also asked my sensei and he provided pretty much the same answer.

Thank you very much wastelander! Your Youtube video helped me to understand the described usage of yama-uke. Your version was a bit different, however, many of the movements were easily recognizable. I also asked my sensei and he provided pretty much the same answer.

No problem, I'm glad I could be of assistance!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society