• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visiting experts from another art?

So we've discussed new students..

You've got, say, a 4th dan or some such in "whatever-ryu", and you're setting up to teach your class. Someone respectfully wanders in and greets you. They are a 6th dan in "different-ryu" and want to see your class.

What's going to happen?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nothing is going to happen, just as long as he/she is respectful across the board while in my dojo, and even more so if he/she is in the Hombu.

I'll greet him/her according to how they receive my dojo, my students, and myself. Again, even more so if he/she is in the Hombu.

I'll offer him/her something to drink, and then we'll sit and talk for a little; feel out each other, so to speak. Mutual respect will be adhered to throughout his/her visit(s), form all parties concerned. I'm interested more in his/her overall intent over his/her cordial and affable curiosity.

If our conversation ends favorable for us both, then I'll ask him/her which class would he/she like to observe and why that/those particular classes. If I sense the innocence of the request(s), then I'll invite him/her to sit in the bleachers to watch the class/classes, only as an observer.

After, I'll engage in more conversation, not for his/her approval because I'm not seeking that, just for his/her overall impressions, and then I'll engage the conversation to a final conclusion.

Do I invite him/her back? No! He/she sought my dojo out, and I didn't seek him/her out. My intent is to only be an affable host for him/her. Am I ever suspicious of intent? Not always, just guarded over my dojo and my students. Even more so over the Hombu.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

So we've discussed new students..

You've got, say, a 4th dan or some such in "whatever-ryu", and you're setting up to teach your class. Someone respectfully wanders in and greets you. They are a 6th dan in "different-ryu" and want to see your class.

What's going to happen?

I've had that happen, and had them take the class - no problems at all. You have to figure that they wouldn't suit up to work out if it were really a problem for them.

Best,

Chris

I moved a few times, an the last one was as a 2nd Dan. When I got to my new city I went around to all the MA clubs in my area, not just Karate either. My first visit was to sound the school / instructors out and I did not bring my gi. I sat, observed and chatted with students, owner and instructors. I told them my intentions, just stopping by to say hi, introduce myself and check out my options for a new school. In all but one school {I really didn't like the owner anyway... or his business practice} I was asked to get my gi on and join the class. Even in the clubs that were a different MA then my Karate.

I ended up spending time at most of the clubs for three months and then moving to the next one. Usually I ended up taking a class or two myself. I was up front with all owners / instructors about my plans to check around and nobody had any issues with this and did not ask for money, even when I offered to pay for my time. I ended up staying at the club a couple of blocks from my home. When I go to tournaments or events I know instructors from around town and have made some friends with this process.

I would say it comes down to how the visiting individual approaches the owner / instructor. Open honesty and no 'agenda'.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problems with anyone coming into my class, as long as they are respectful and behave themselves.

I had a guy that was just passing thru on his way somewhere else and saw my dojo and popped in. He said he was a shodan in something-or-other system and asked if he could dress out and work out with us.

I had him sign a release form (yeah I know) and he joined the class. He was quite good and limber, but didn't know our drills and system, but gave a good effort.

He told me he was mostly into tournaments and asked if we sparred. So we switched to that aspect of the class (I thought it would be fun to spar with someone outside the dojo for a change).

Well, this guy basically made me look like a novice beginner in sparring! Come to find out, he was a nationally ranked competitor that attended some 30 tournamebnts a year and he was on his way to one Man, this guy was FAST! All he did was spar, and he'd been at it for about 20 years at that point.

I don't remember his name (over 20 years ago) but he was a nice guy and wasquite impressive in sparring.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I've found that most guys willing to show up and dress out are usually pretty good people. I'll chat about what we do and invite them to join in. I've never really had a problem with that aspect of it.

I've found that most guys willing to show up and dress out are usually pretty good people. I'll chat about what we do and invite them to join in. I've never really had a problem with that aspect of it.

Agreed.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

First I'll have to confirm that it's alright for them to do this with our head sensei. If it is, they're allowed to train with us and share some of their insights as well. In my experience with my dojo, we've had this happen quite a number of times from shotokan to wado ryu to kyokushin to even judo. It can be a good learning experience for both parties.