• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you train?

BarbedTerror

Currently, and this certainly fluctuates, I'm spending about 12-14 hours per week working on technique, sparring, etc. and about 4-6 hours per week working on conditioning by itself.

Maintaining a good diet, getting plenty of rest, and making sure I have a dedicated recovery day is crucial to keeping this kind of schedule up long-term. If you take care of your body and can avoid suffering from burn-out, I think you'll be just fine at three times a week.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3-4 days a week for 1.5 to 2.5 hours

Working a variety including grappling both gi and no-gi, combatives, knife, club, gun defenses, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai.

Not to mention the time spent on the shooting range.

Speaking of range time, I've been putting in plenty indoors, but they tell me firing a shotgun indoors is dangerous. I'm planning on bringing it home, so perhaps we can get an hour or two in some morning.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I'm in 3-4 times per week formally. I'll move towards 4-5 during the run up to a tournament. That's on the mat.

I'll usually and another 1-2 days either running or lifting to supplement.

For the record, I think it is vital to take at least one day off from all training each week. I often take 2-3 days off a week. To me, this is also training.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I teach 5 classes per week at my dojo, which often gives me great training in a non-physical form. For actual physical training, I try to get in at least 3-5 hours practice a week. Outside of that, it's always on my mind.

To OP (BarbedTerror): I notice you're in Canberra. Glad to see more Aussies, and Canberrans getting in on the scene. Canberra has a pretty strong, and rich martial arts community. I know the GKR scene is big down here, but haven't had much to do with it.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I teach 5 classes per week at my dojo, which often gives me great training in a non-physical form. For actual physical training, I try to get in at least 3-5 hours practice a week. Outside of that, it's always on my mind.

To OP (BarbedTerror): I notice you're in Canberra. Glad to see more Aussies, and Canberrans getting in on the scene. Canberra has a pretty strong, and rich martial arts community. I know the GKR scene is big down here, but haven't had much to do with it.

Osu, I recommended your Dojo to the original poster but "I'll PM you with the details"

Good to see some Okinawan Karateka on the forum, OSU!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)