• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you train?

BarbedTerror

I'm curious as to how often people train/participate in a martial art class. Regardless of what kind or style.

I usually train twice a week but am now training three times a week. 2 regular classes, 1 tournament training.

Is this too many classes or not enough? How often do you train?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train eight days a week. By that I mean, there's not enough days in any given week that I'm not doing some type of training. So, I often train quite often.

I think, for now, and it's up to you and your instructor, you're doing fine, and in that, you've found a doable balance for now. Increase...decrease...it's also important, imho, that one doesn't under-train or over-train because either can have their own negative implications in the long run.

Good luck.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It goes with the cycle of life. I used to train 3 days a week plus one day at a different school working on self-defence. Then there was my conditioning work on top of that. When I was training up for my Dan tests it reached 6 days a week.

Now with my schedule, family and the schools schedule I train in school once a week and on my own once a week, and I still have my conditioning workouts.

It'll change again and I'll pick up more training, when the time is right.

Every day I train, mentally, physically or both, karate is a way of life, not just whilst You're in the dojo, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Since I don't have classes any more, I go to the dojo usually 3 times a week, sometimes 4 if I have time. I also train at home, mostly lifting weights, sit-ups, various push-ups and reviewing any katas. Currently, I've been focusing more on seiyunchin kata in particular (although still review the other katas) since I recently learned it but sometimes get the sequence wrong.

I go to the dojo 3 days a week for about 3 hours at a time, but I do at least some kihon or kata practice on my own every day, as well as doing research and writing out my own thoughts on karate.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I am all over the map, but usually will take a day or two off each week. I believe your body needs down time as much as it needs training.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)