• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is this called?

scohen.mma

we do some kind of drill in my Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu class. lets say i'm facing a partner. we bow, i begin with a head punch in a natural stance. my partner block with a head block. then, i step back and do a down block in a side horse stance position, because my partner threw either a kick or a lower punch (i dont remember, this is why i wanna know what this is so i can look it up!) then, at the same time, both partners face each other. one throws straight punch to the partner, and the partner throws a rising punch/block and "wins" the drill (its pre-planned, i dont know what else to call it). when both partners throw that final strike, both partners are in some kind of forward stance as if we were doign a down block in kata.

i'm sorry if i wasnt very clear, i'm not too sure what to call all of this. every once in a while (not very often) we do things like this, but i dont remember what this is called, and i'd really like to know because each time we do it, i forgot since we dont usually do it and i'd liek to be able to practice at home so i can remember. thanks in advance!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's called Yakusoku kumite, and the one you refer to is the first one of seven.

They are best viewed in Osensei Shoshin Nagamine's Essence of Okinawan Karate-do, but are also performed by Jim Sindt, and can be found on YouTube:

Cheers,

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

thanks so much!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but it's also about a japanese name, so I figured it would be ok. I am looking for the japanese name of a kick, spinning back kick, Chuck Liddell style. Would it be ushiro geri, even if the leg doesn't stretch out, being really close to the opponent?

Pre-arranged sparring drills are an excellent introduction to the real thing.

They have value far beyond that in my opinion. There is much that can be done with them if you are creative and I believe they are totally underutilized.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I agree with Ueshirokarate. My Sensei tells us to "explore" what he teaches us and sometimes he'll show examples. "just because i blocked with a down block doesnt mean thats all i'm gonna do. look at how off balance he is now, maybe i can do this and that" and he does some really cool stuff!

In my opinion, these pre-arranged sparring drills are just general techniques, and that if/when we ever use them, we shouldnt just use whatever Yakusoku drill we're using, we should get creative with it.

They have value far beyond that in my opinion. There is much that can be done with them if you are creative and I believe they are totally underutilized.

Sadly the only drills similar to that fashion in my system is sanbon/ippon kumite (both formal versions and knockdown fighting versions). We don't have the exchanging like in a lot of yakusoku kumite. Ours is much more simplistic and not focused on properly in many cases.