• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oshi Shinobu?

scohen.mma

I want to get the Japanese Kanji for Oshi Shinobu meaning "Push to Endure" tattoo'ed on my left part of my chest, kinda over my heart or where a symbol on my Karate Gi would be. but i ahve a few questions. i love the style Kyokushin, but i dont train in it and i dont expect to even be able to train in it for a while, or atleast until after i recieve a blackbelt in Shorin-Ryu.

I'm noticing that Oshi Shinobu is more commonly recognized as a Kyokushin Karate phrase, but i absolutely love it! is there anything poser-ish about having this as my first tattoo? i love what it stands for, and it honestly is my life motto at the moment or atleast when it comes to any kind of working out/training, or even when i face a struggle in my daily life.

can anyone give me their honest opinion? thanks!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

to push AND to endure would be a more literal translation, I think.

As for getting it tattooed- I think I have heard some Shotokan people use it. Perhaps some others do as well... but it's true that we're known for it. It's not the same as getting the kanku or the Kyokushin kanji tatted on, however.

I had a number of friends in my life who now say OSU, though they've nothing to do with Kyokushin, because they have come to love it and it's meaning.

I can't speak for all Kyokushin karateka, only myself... but I think it's not a bad choice.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Evergrey, you got me on FB, can you tag the kanji as I want that tattoo too, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

You know, I wanted to get a tat when I was 19 years old, but then I decided to just think about it first. Now, I'm 54 years old and I'm still only thinking about getting a tat.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks Evergrey! that definetly makes me feel more comfortable about getting it. i've also noticed other martial art styles using it. Even some BJJ schools! except their changing the spelling/pronunciation or something like that, but i'm going to go with the origonal one.

Dobbersky and Sensei8, at first i just wanted a tattoo for the heck of it. then i told my Sensei's that i wanted one, and they told me that i should wait and think it over. so i did, and i decided not to get the tattoo. but recently i started tihnking over it again, and my passion and love for Karate and other martial arts is just continuing to grow, and i have been using Oshi Shinobu as a motto for a while now. it never gets old and i love it!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

You have to make sure you really want something on you. Because, even though you can get them removed at great expense, it's going to mark you.

That said, what you're looking to get inked with has good meaning all through life, not just the martial arts. So if things change for you in 10 years, you wouldn't have to go through a drawn out explanation as to why you got the tattoo.

Which reminds me to find the kanji for my next one.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting a decorated Yin Yang tattoo on my top back to resemble the balance Karate brought to my life. On second thought the balance i enjoy through my Martial Arts experience is always within me when i need it so i don't really have to ink it on my body (apart from aesthetics).

I would say its best for your actions to define your saying than the saying define yourself.