• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Common Ground/Respect

I'd like to add that I respect different styles. ..........

Come on man, I'm not prejudiced! Some of my best friends are Aikidoka! So see right, I can't be! ;}

Aikido - one of the hardest styles out there, have you ever been an UKE for a Aikido Yudansha, you end up with more bruises than "Soft" Mick (no offence to Mick)

As most Judoka and Aikidoka will tell you "The Floor will hit you harder than any punch or Kick!!!"

OSU!!!!

That's why Aikido has such a strong influence in Ashihara because Ashihara Kancho realised how "painful" Aikido can be

OSU!!!

An Aikido book I read referred to "throwing planets at people." Kind of an entertaining way to look at it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Aikido book I read referred to "throwing planets at people." Kind of an entertaining way to look at it.

Sephiroth did Aikido?

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Respect begets respect!!

Truly, the only thing that crawls up my skin is when a style of the MA proclaims that theirs is all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips, and that the other styles of the MA are no better than cow dung.

Humans experiment with the MA, and in that, it's an incomplete experimentation at best, imho. Truly, exactly what have we mastered?

Until all styles can unite together for the betterment of the MA; there will be nothing but complete unrest over the horizon.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Evergrey I definitely was not singling you out, I just happened to mention a recent post you had made. The funny thing is, I personally don't even spar with light or no contact, and I'm not sure where that idea came from. I do (try to) go light contact only to the head, because as I mentioned previously, I have seen people with severe dementia, which can be induced by trauma and take time to develop, and it is ugly. Trust me, you do not want to end up in the "memory care" unit of some nursing home. I do enjoy trading hard blows to the body, and agree that it is good to challenge one's self with a reasonable amount of contact. I have seen sparring videos of some of you involved in this discussion, and you seem to be using what I would call medium or medium hard contact, same as me. Be that as it may... as much as I have enjoyed KF over the years, I am no longer enjoying it due to what feels to me like an increasing amount of disdain for people who do want to practice just light contact sparring. There were some good posts in response to my original one, and I appreciate the balanced views, but... I guess at this point in my life the only times I care to associate with people who merely "tolerate" one another is at the occasional family reunion, and that's just because it makes my mom happy. Well, maybe I just need a break and will come back later. Maybe next week, who knows. I wish you all the best.

I'd like to add that I respect different styles. ..........

Come on man, I'm not prejudiced! Some of my best friends are Aikidoka! So see right, I can't be! ;}

Aikido - one of the hardest styles out there, have you ever been an UKE for a Aikido Yudansha, you end up with more bruises than "Soft" Mick (no offence to Mick)

As most Judoka and Aikidoka will tell you "The Floor will hit you harder than any punch or Kick!!!"

OSU!!!!

That's why Aikido has such a strong influence in Ashihara because Ashihara Kancho realised how "painful" Aikido can be

OSU!!!

Agreed - the floor hurts!!!

Interesting to note is that Mas Oyama Sosai had formal training in Judo prior to the creation of Kyokushin. I attribute this to why Kyokushin has so many different grappling bunkai.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Yes indeed he did, as well as... Aikijutsu! :D

There's also proto-Shotokan (he trained under Funakoshi) and Goju-Ryu. Later on he viked a bit from Muay Thai as well.

My lineage learned from him before Kyokushin was even founded, and the head of my lineage had also trained in Judo and Aikijutsu before training under Sosai. He branched off from Sosai for a while, then came back to him closer to the end of his life, but still retained the earlier version of the style in how he trained his students, so when someone comes to our dojo, they can see a bit more of the early version of Kyokushin. We do throws and leg grabs (gods I hate leg grabs.)

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

...he viked a bit from Muay Thai as well.

And TKD, just quietly.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

...he viked a bit from Muay Thai as well.

And TKD, just quietly.

Haha, a little bit, yeah. Mostly in the later years, though I think that wasn't just Sosai making those changes at that point.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.