• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sport Karate

KarateCroft

IMHO, Karate is about self defense* not winning trophies or seeing who can "get a point". Now, I have competed in tournaments before and probably will again.

My question to everyone does sport karate help or hinder? Does it defile what the true essence of Karate is supposed to be?

*When I say Karate is about self defense, I mean that on the surface only as I believe many Okinawan masters believed it as well as using karate for health and good. I do realize karate is not only about punching and kicking but it is a way of life and at it's core is about peace and not having to fight. I know karate has many lessons in life and they are never ending.

Thanks for your input.

Karate Croft

http://www.damagezone.webs.com

Isshinryu Karate- Sho Dan|Uechi-ryu- Hachi Kyu

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.” - Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "Ethos" of "Sprot karate" is far from the origins of Okinawan karate. I can see the reaoning behing it as it develops speed and quick reactions BUT it teaches the "Fighters" t o"pull" their strikes. This goes against the grain. because as you react instinctively you will do exactly the same in a Self Defence situation.

I've heard of persons so used to drilling where the defender hands back the knife of pistol AFTER disarming the attacker they have "handed" the weapon back to their attacker to use on them again.

I hate with a vengence this leg in the air and kicking, kicking kicking without any real meaning, but if the rules change to allow take downs etc this would be immediately dropped like a bad smell.

Knock-down or Continuous is the best way to compete, and no less than semi-contact either

thanks

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

The problem I see with 'sport' karate, is that some schools focus solely on the 'sport'. You see them coming into the tournament with special tournament dry cleaned Gi's, hair is perfect and the practitioners from white to black belt are only doing one or two katas. Their point sparing looks great, as long as it's done in the ring.

Aside from that, I think the 'sport' side of Martial Arts helps us in many ways. We are reaching out to the community, marketing..., and some people do need some sort of competition/award for their work. I know, not the ethos of karate, but some people do need this.

As long as the 'sport' part of karate is only part of the system then I do not see anything wrong with it. It can be another tool to challenge your body and mind. Don't get me started on what I have seen as self-defence ~ I saw one club where the owner/instructor was showing their students how to catch a punch.

Catch a punch, in what way? Like, redirecting? Or grabbing the hand when they've passed full extension or not built up enough speed and power yet?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Depends what you mean by sport Karate. If we're talking about "sport" as in all tournaments, then I say yes its a good thing. I'm all for competition and TKD competition plays a very big part of my life. "Sport Karate" as its come to be known: tippy-tappy sparring and competition forms not so much...

Compared to normal training, there is nothing like a competition to drive you and force you to make yourself better. Especially if you're serious about it. There's nothing wrong with enjoying winning the medals and trophies either. Competition forces you to train harder and perfect everything and so even if you don't win a medal, you've won in your training by making yourself a better Karateka.

Sport Karate, even though its not "proper" Karate, can be good, probably more so when you're younger and interested in sport. If does teach you to be fast and you do need a load of athletic ability to be good.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Anything that hones your skills and has a positive effect on your life is probably good.

I don't know about formal "sport karate." The full contact knockdown tournaments I go to don't involve any punch bulling, LOL! The medic works overtime. Half the photos of my friends from the last tournament are of them lying on the mat with the dude in blue gloves kneeling over them!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Catch a punch, in what way? Like, redirecting? Or grabbing the hand when they've passed full extension or not built up enough speed and power yet?

Hollywood style, grabbing the hand right before the it would hit the face.

Hollywood style, grabbing the hand right before the it would hit the face.

Ahh... lol, no, that just gets you punched in the face with your own hand.

Next time you see that, please get video and post it to youtube!

I attended a Goju-Ryu tournament to see what it was like and I immediately got turned off by the "sport karate" kumite. Despite this, I regularly spar the students who are more interested in the sport karate mindset and I've noticed their strategy is quite different. Namely, even when we agree ahead of time to use semi-contact rules, they still make no contact whatsoever. Additionally, they jump back immediately after doing 1-2 strikes if they came close to touching my gi, regardless if they still had openings. Their strikes don't have a lot of power so it seems as though they're not actually committing. They also often are used to having a brief pause after scoring a point, however, I don't care for those rules.

I think it only hinders karate if you expect something more from it. Personally, it doesn't hinder karate, rather it provides a different aspect. Even though I prefer semi or full contact kumite, and our dojo certainly has students other than myself who prefer it, I think training for both results in improving power, competition, focus, speed and athleticism.

Ger 'er Done wrote:

even when we agree ahead of time to use semi-contact rules, they still make no contact whatsoever. Additionally, they jump back immediately after doing 1-2 strikes if they came close to touching my gi, regardless if they still had openings. Their strikes don't have a lot of power so it seems as though they're not actually committing.

Even in point sparring, this is incorrect technique. You do not get any points with no contact and no power or committment, if the refs know what they are doing. Also, you are supposed to keep fighting until the ref stops you, not when you think you've scored a point. You can be disqualified for repeatedly doing this. For training purposes in class, it's best if the instructor allows the fight to continue on for some time rather than stopping it after every point. IMO.