• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So last week was one of major change for me, after several years with the same BJJ school I made the decision to move over to a new team. It was a decision that had nothing to do with the people or quality of instruction (both of which were excellent) at my previous school.

About a year ago, a BJJ academy moved into the town in which I live. Legit instructor with a great pedigree who is a fantastic teacher. With a driving distance of five minutes vs. forty five, it might seem like an easy decision.

However, loyalty means quite a lot in these matters so I waited for some time. I did get the opportunity to cross train with the closer school frequently and it became apparent it would be a good fit for me as well. Different vibe, but very accessible for my personality and goals.

So, with the end of my contract I made the decision to move. Removing patches has never been this hard (I know a bit sentimental and dare I say even traditional response). Despite that, I'm looking forward to taking new steps and building new relationships. Not an easy go round, but one that makes a lot of sense and excites me to keep learning.

Anyway, just sharing and explaining the new trappings in my profile block.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best of luck at the new academy tallgeese. I know switching instructors and schools is a big call and I completely get where loyalty comes into the picture. Sounds like the decision was based on more than just a quick drive and some gas money. Hope things go well, and you have found a good fit.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

45 minutes translates to 1.5 hours there and back. A good school 5 minutes away saves a lot of time, about 10 hours a week that could be spent with family or X-box. So as long as you like the new place and can learn there, it definitely makes sense. I don't think you'd have any problem visiting your old school once in a while to catch up with your friends there. I hope it works well for you.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I hate to say it Shori, but that really was the deciding factor :lol:

I loved the gym I used to go to and the people there, and the coach, ect. Of course, I wouldn't leave for anything less, so of course all of those things have to factor in. But in the end, it came down to two great gyms and coaches. All things being equal and all....

The vibe at my old place was a hair more laid back, but I'll fit here as well. As I start up regular this week, since I've known a bunch of these guys, and the coach, a while, I've found the transition to be very easy.

MP, the time factor is almost as big a factor as the drive and the gas money. Now I can really crush some Warcraft...no wait, I mean spend time with my family :lol:

tallgeese I know what you mean about going into a new school and loyalty to the old one. I felt the same way when I started bjj but I was just joing a second school even though my original school was of a stand up style. I drive 1.5 hours each way to my bjj school. But I can't image training under any other bjj instructor. I mean I've even drove almost 2 hours one way to train with my instructor. The only way I could do any better would be going to Samuel Braga's school but the drive would only be about ten minutes shorter.

Atleast the new school has what you are wanting in a place to train. Also as you staed knowing some people there will help with the transition. Good luck at your new home.

When I moved from my home area to a new town, over an hour away from my instructor, I decided to just open a school of my own. I affiliated under my instructor and keep ties that way. It's worked out pretty well. It cost me about 1400 for mats and a small amount for rent. I have enough students to pay rent and have just a little extra.

That said, everyone else in the area, IMO, was not very good. For one, I was the same or higher rank than most of them. They just weren't high quality schools IMO. If I had found a school I felt was high quality, I may have considered switching.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Nothing wrong with raw honesty and saving half your paycheck in gas money. Means more money for the house, training and gear. And if you're not dropping in quality of training, and the people are good, you're winning all the way.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'm happy for you, tallgeese. To have two BJJ schools to make a choice between is a great problem to have, and I envy you for that. It sounds like you've done the leg work, and made an informed decision. With gas as expensive as it is, saving that cash is hard to beat. Especially with all things being equal.

Removing patches is, if nothing else, a huge pain in the butt. What's the lineage of the new school? When our gym over here switched from Ribeiro to Monteiro, it made a huge difference for the good in my opinion. It's amazing to see the differences in evolution of a sport/art that's less than 3 generations old.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons