• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reprogramming.

Copper....

Alot of Aikido is used by the police force which I'm a black belt in

Could use bits of BJJ submission holds

Some karate but don't use too much force remember don't wear the police uniform to have power just wear it to do your job

Martial Arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Due to developments in the last few months i know find myself on the verge of possibly starting a career in law enforcement.

Due to this i have found myself in somewhat of a dilemma with my martial arts training. For the last 4.5 years i have been trained in a highly combative system that has its roots in Kempo jiujitsu, goju-ryu, jeet kun do, krav maga and many other arts both grappling based and striking based. While training i often find myself using more force than a police officer would be allowed to use. For example, redirecting a knife and plunging it into an assailants midsection may land you in a heap of trouble, especially if you are a public servant such as a cop.

So my question is this, what would be the best ways to reprogram oneself who has a tendency while training to use "overkill" when dispatching an assailant to, to use less forcefull techniques that would be less frowned upon by a law enforcement agency.

You will be trained in a "use of force ladder." This will tell you exactly what level of force you can use and when you can use it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel or go into this thinking that you know what you're talking about. You may be educated, but you don't "know" what you can and can not do. Worry about which techniques to train once you've graduated the academy and are actually a LEO. Good luck!

Not to be too picky, but we were trained more along the lines of a UoF continuum, the idea being that the ladder concept lent itself to going up and down one rung at a time, and in the chaos of a situation, things don't work out that way. So, we use a continuum that works better, in my opinion, in allowing smoother adjustments when things change.

I know, its probably semantics, but I wanted to chime in with that.

Like mentioned earlier, you probably won't have to make as many adjustments as you thought you would. There are plenty of former military officers that make a transition to the LEO career, and they do a pretty good job of making the transition as well. I'm sure you'll do fine.