• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full contact, semi-contact or non-contact?

BarbedTerror

[Question, did you mention you've done G-K-R? as no one a part from G-K-R think its any good!] Yes, I'm a student of Go-Kan-Ryu, they get quite alot of bad comments. Kyokushin though, I've heard is very good. What makes you believe only GKR karate-ka like it?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is GKR the style that has people going door to door in dogis trying to find students?

Door to door? Sorry, If they came to my house, well, I'd just close the door.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

All kidding aside, I've seen video of GKR students who make kata look good, who would do well in tournaments. Strikes looked nice and snappy in the air. It would be good exercise, give you a hobby and a social function. If that's what you're looking for, then it's fine.

The door to door thing is a major turn off for me. I hate that kind of marketing, it's pushy, invades the sanctity of home, harder than a telemarketer to get rid of. I have my own martial art, spiritual beliefs, and vacuum cleaner. I don't need people on my porch selling me theirs.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

[Question, did you mention you've done G-K-R? as no one a part from G-K-R think its any good!] Yes, I'm a student of Go-Kan-Ryu, they get quite alot of bad comments. Kyokushin though, I've heard is very good. What makes you believe only GKR karate-ka like it?

What he meant was, did you tell the Kyokushin people that you have a background in Go-Kan-Ryu? The reason that he asked was because most people who do not do GKR believe that GKR is not good, and if you had told the Kyokushin folks that you are a GKR student they may have decided that you were also not good, which might be why you had the experience that you did. It is a little harsh, but it is certainly a possibility.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Wastelander, thanks for the explaination. This is very possible, I was talking to the sensai and he did believe GKR was, well.. Bad, to sum it up.

GKR does occasionally go door to door, in search of new karate-ka. The reason for this being, in certain areas, there are not enough students attending classes at specific dojo's, the club therefore can't afford to rent out the dojo, resulting in the closure of that class.

GKR is one of the most popular styles of karate in the world for the reason of which, they do this kind of marketing. It's simply convinient, hence why so many students join. I don't believe that this makes the style "Weak" or a "Mcdojo" It simply means that they have the right idea on how to recruit new karate-ka, that's all.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I recommend that you do a google search on go kan ryu, if you have not already, and read some of the threats on the second search result. Maybe the third too, though I haven't read it.

Does GKR participate in tournaments with contact outside of their own style? That would be a good way for GKR to prove itself better. It tends to have a reputation for being a pyramid scheme.

I, however, have never met a GKR practicioner in person, nor have I trained with them, or sparred with one, so I cannot say, myself, whether or not I think that it is any good.

Kyokushin has the reputation it does because it has tested itself publicly against other styles, time and time again, and proven itself... as well as holding to very high standards overall. There are some dojos that are exceptions, but not many.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Also, one of these guys is apparently the head of the style.

PS, yes, do read through the thread that is on martialedge, the third search result down. Lots of stuff from former GKR students who have gone on to different styles.

The last post on that thread, on page 27, an employee of the company posts on there. I bolded that, because he referred to it as a COMPANY, not a martial arts style. That tells me a lot right there.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.