• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full contact, semi-contact or non-contact?

BarbedTerror

I just finished a kyokushin class and have to say that I'm really disappointed. I liked the style, it seems really interesting yet the instructor was horrible. He didn't think of explaining anything to me, not the moves nor the dojo etiquette. It would have been fantastic if there was more then one instructor and they helped you out. I'll have a look at a few more styles, including muay thai and see if any seem more attractive

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished a kyokushin class and have to say that I'm really disappointed. I liked the style, it seems really interesting yet the instructor was horrible. He didn't think of explaining anything to me, not the moves nor the dojo etiquette. It would have been fantastic if there was more then one instructor and they helped you out. I'll have a look at a few more styles, including muay thai and see if any seem more attractive

Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately, that is certainly something that you can run into--just because someone practices a solid art and is good at it doesn't necessarily mean that they are a good teacher, or have a teaching style that will work well with your learning style. Hopefully you have better luck elsewhere!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

At the classes I attend, such as the Thursday class I came back from, there are quite a few students but only one instructor. He compensates by teaching something to everyone or shows something to practice, and segments the class such that the brown and black belt students can hopefully answer a question. If they cannot, then they turn to the Sensei. Perhaps there are higher belt-level students you could ask? For example, as part of today, I was showing some basic joint-locks for self-defense. Additionally, for the last several classes on Tuesday and some Thursdays, I showed lower belt level students and 2 white belt students parring strategies and basic techniques.

When the higher belt levels, including myself and other brown belt and black belts spar with each other, the Sensei would explain to the lower belt students the various strategies we use. He'd also help explain to them why a certain technique was used, a counter to it, the name of it, etc... . Later on when they spar, he'd show them, sometimes with the use of higher belt students, how the technique was done if it uses techniques they've already learned or isn't too complex. If something amazed the lower belt students, the Sensei would have the sparring students re-demonstrate what happened in slow-motion.

It was in an enviroment in which I didn't feel as though I could ask the other karate-ka. On top of that, he spoke very fast and in Japanese only, making it extraordinarily dificult to keep up and understand what he wanted me to do

Ahh, quite different from our dojo. A brand new student is assigned an assistant instructor, or maybe the main instructor works with them while someone else leads the class. We usually have two instructors in class anyway. The "why" and "how" is explained often and well, but succinctly. New students are made to feel welcome.

Sorry the class environment didn't work out for you. :/ it's a great style! Not all schools or teaching styles are the same.

When I started out, there were a lot of things I just had to follow along with, but if I needed help, I got it. We are also always welcome to ask questions after class, which I do often.

Good luck on your search!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I'm definatly not judging the style, I've heard many fantastic things about it and would like to seek out a different dojo for it. In the dojo I'm currently studying with (GKR) They are very helpful and friendly, hence why I have stayed

Yes, I am going to attend another and see if it is any better. The class however was not busy, quite the opposite in fact. There was about six of us

Yes, I am going to attend another and see if it is any better. The class however was not busy, quite the opposite in fact. There was about six of us

Question, did you mention you've done G-K-R? as no one a part from G-K-R think its any good!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Might want to try talking to the instructor before class, if possible, or the highest rank student there if not.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.