• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full contact, semi-contact or non-contact?

BarbedTerror

I most certainly have done many searches on the style GKR.

Go-Kan-Ryu does participte in many tournaments worldwide and does have contact with other styles within these tournaments. GKR, I believe, does have a good reputation within these tournaments. I do however wonder whether or not this is because many of the judges are from GKR.. I've heard of an incident where my boyfriends brother was competing against a GKR karate-ka, the GKR student had lost yet complained to his dad (Whose sister was judging) and then had the scores changed. I'm not sure how much this has been exagerated but to me it sounds as though GKR should only compete within it's own style

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, Kancho Robert Sullivan founded the style. I have never seen him spar but gosh, he doesn't seem to put muc effort in in this video. I guess it could be left up to his age and the fact that he has had numerous surgical proccedures due to the cancer he had

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Might be. Like I said, I haven't experienced GKR in person. This is just what I see online. :}

In the end, you of course must make your own choices. We can only give you our perspectives and experiences.

I hope that you do find the best style for YOU though.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Did anyone notice how the guy kept his chin up, even in close range and when being "hit"? Results of lack of biofeedback. There is nothing wrong with continuous "touch" sparring some of the time. It allows you to practice without getting so banged up. But if you never actually hit each other, you never learn things like keeping your chin down, or tensing your abs and breathing, or turning your thigh into a kick and tensing it if there is no time to check it.

The lack of effort isn't what I question. Light sparring is fine, but any real punch to the jaw would knock either of these black belts out, because they never learned to shut their mouth and put their chin down.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma