• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rent Is So High

I think this is a really interesting topic and enjoyed all of the posts made so far. Thanks all.

Patrick

It would be great if we could all figure out how to be millionaires doing what we love. :wink:

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It would be. It is interesting to consider the disconnect between, for example, gyms and martial arts studios and how they are viewed differently, when it comes to what you might be allowed to charge. It isn't good or bad, it is just a cultural thing.

It would be. It is interesting to consider the disconnect between, for example, gyms and martial arts studios and how they are viewed differently, when it comes to what you might be allowed to charge. It isn't good or bad, it is just a cultural thing.

That's an interesting point. The reality is that 99% of the people out there would get in such better shape walking into a dojo than a gym. At a gym you need to know what to do and push yourself. Of course you could also hire a personal trainer, but that is a pretty expensive proposition to most.

You join a good dojo and you pretty much get personal attention all the time, both instructor and peer motivation to push you past your limits. You become part of a community and this helps you stick with it. Martial arts training is so much more conducive to getting fit for these reasons. We could probably use a PR firm and a Madison Avenue ad agency to get the word out. Somehow the "fitness" industry has and we have a much better story, as self-defense is also learned along the way.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Most of our customers (we're in M.A. supply) don't make a living from martial arts. Most make money, but most have other sources of income. Some are teachers or are in law enforcement or construction. For some, the goal is just to cover expenses so they can spread their art. Others want a little extra money so they can justify all the time they devote to running a school. Lucky ones make enough money to support a family and don't sell their souls to do so. Very few of our customers are wealthy, at least not because of the school. Of course, that could be because we're a small family business. Maybe larger companies have more big customers who make BIG money.

If I remember correctly, many of our customers charge around $100 per month, so $120 doesn't sound that high to me. It does seem a little high for your area though. Warehouse space around here might be about $0.80 per square foot, so many schools could be near your $1200 estimate, but many are in storefronts where rent could be double that or more. Supporting a dedicated commercial space can be costly, but in exchange, you often get a decent floor, mirrors, and places to put things like heavy bags and targets. Some have weight rooms or locker rooms or multiple workout areas.

Is it worth it? That's a complicated question. What do you get for your $120? What else would you spend it on? Like anything else, this will vary greatly from person to person. Most readers of this forum would agree that there is great value in training in the martial arts. Will it be worth it for everyone? No. From what I hear, most will quit within three months anyway. If you don't have a contract, the downside is a couple hundred dollars and some wasted time, but the potential upside is immeasurable.

The other day, I met a guy that looked maybe 30 years old. After hearing that we were in martial arts, he said that he trained for a while about 20 years ago. I'm not sure for how long, but from the way he talked, it sounded like a year or so. Because of it, he felt that he was more confident, more disciplined, and better at setting and achieving goals. This story isn't unique. I'm sure most of you have met people like this. Most of you probably ARE people like this.

Is martial arts training worth $120 per month? I'd bet the countless senseis and students who have dedicated decades to teaching and training would think so.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com