• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rent Is So High

Imho...

Prices for lessons/tuition is astronomically high. $120 and up for classes is the average in the 50 mile radius of where I live. There are very, very few schools that charge nothing or no more than $40, but those are either in a church or the YMCA.

I've never understood why the majority of MA schools charge so much per month for classes to learn the MA.

If it's a commercial space, well, that's not cheap and while rent can be negotiated to a point, it's still an uncontrollable. Pay what the landlord wants or teach outside.

Lowest rent in my own town is $1200 per month. Well, 10 students at $120 per month pays the rent. But then you'll need another 10 students at $120 per month to pay the utilities. Wait, then you'll need another 10 students at $120 per month to pay for advertisements/office supplies/mail/etc. Then you'll need another 10 students at $120 per month to pay for insurance/etc. Then you'll need another 20 students at $120 per month to give you a small salary and hopefully medical insurance. When is enough money enough.

I've always said...the MA is a want, and it's not a need...imho.

It takes money to make money and that equals a drastic need for more and more students to keep head above water.

But man, the rent is so high per month....How can one have a school of the MA and a house/apt at the same time. I know...I don't need to feed my family either.

Why is tuition so high? Is the demand for MA lessons so high that it justifies the high prices for lessons?

I don't know...I'm just asking.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I ran a commercial school for 3 years back in the late 80's and charged $40/mo for classes. My rent was $300/mo in a small, 1200 sq ft run down buildinbg in a run down part of town.

I did ok during the school year, but classes dwindled to nothing in the summer time. I didn't use contracts, advertised primarily word-of-mouth and tried hard to keep expenses at a minimum. I didn't pay for insurance at the suggestion of my lawyer as he looked over my release of liabilkity form and told me as long as it was expressed, and not implied that injury could occur, the onkly way they could "successfully" sue me was to claim negligance and prove it. In the 30+ years of teaching, I have never even heard of a sensei getting sued, let alone successful at it

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

This is why it's hard for teachers to be just teachers. They have to pay for space, and then make sure that they are paying themselves. My teacher had another job, and did classes in a plethora of places that didn't charge until going to a MMA gym that charged him a rent that he could afford. Teaching was something that he did out of love for Martial Arts and it showed. Rent is tough though, it has to be met. I remember practicing in parks and at his house many times, however, so I don't see why more don't do that.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Thank you Montana and Zaine for your posts, and imho, they were both very solid posts.

Is greed the driving reason for tuition being so high? Greed might not be the right word. After all, the reasons for earning a handsome bottom line shouldn't be a bad thing.

Look at a MAIA magazine and one can see that some schools make 100K or more, and each of these schools charge a handsome fee for tuition. I've seen one school charge $300 per month for one student and that school uses contracts...OUCH!! I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if I charged that much.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

And I feel guilty charging £5 per lesson!

Good topic, I would love a full time Dojo, but as its highlighted you need students paying regularly so contracts would be the only way forward.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

It's particularly hard when there is an inherent cultural clash. My art, for instance, was created by and for people who would have had serious problems justifying $40 a month in the budget. In a way, we feel out of place if we're not offering classes next to the boxing studio with the peeling paint. Just being in a yoga studio is faintly surreal in its own way.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think it is a very tough business from what I have seen and heard. Even the BJJ school in my neighborhood is struggling right now and they are a huge brand name. I think the biggest part of the problem is that a MA school is patronized by a select few in general and is a retail space that will generally be underutilized most of the day, given the hours of class. It is probably best to team up with personal trainers, yoga teachers, etc so that the space can be used when ma instruction is not going on.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Rent costs have likely killed more martial arts schools than bad economies and bad instruction combined. We're paying $400 a month for about 600 total square feet for the two rooms above the local vet's office. Biggest space we've had yet. At $5 a class or $40 a month, receipts and tracking it are a nightmare though. In a small town with the highest unemployment in our state, we make rent and put a little back each month for gear. There is no income for myself or Pittbulljudoka, the other instructor. We just enjoy teaching, if it were a money thing, we'd have quit when we were in a storage room that was 10x14 and the windows painted shut with six guys.

I don't begrudge those making more with higher dues. Especially if they are trying to make it a full time living. If there were the population and economy to support it, I'd love to teach full time. But, it won't pay the mortgage and feed the kids, so it's not in the cards right now, no matter what we charge.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Any of you guys heard of that "small dojo big profits" thing? Just wondering, as it seems to be pretty expensive. There is nothing wrong with making money or even getting rich in the ma business if you can, although it seems to be the rare exception and not the rule.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I think this is a really interesting topic and enjoyed all of the posts made so far. Thanks all.

Patrick