• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would it be a bad idea to enter a tournament as an 8th Kyu?

BarbedTerror

Is it a good or bad idea to enter a tournament as an 8th Kyu?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good or bad idea to enter a tournament as an 8th Kyu?

• Good
    • Bad

I started doing karate roughly 3 months ago and I feel confident performing what little katas I know infront of other people. I also would like the opportunity to spar someone as a lower grade before it becomes too intense (As I assume it would be when a higher grade)

Do you think entering a tournament as an 8th Kyu is a good or bad idea?

How is it that I sign up for a tournament and what is the process like?

What are some good combinations for sparring? I tend to use the jab/reverse punch quite alot and am attempting to use a variety of combinations.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What does your teacher think?

Exactly!! We've our opinions, and you are seeking them out, which is good, but the only opinion(s) that count are those of your teacher, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think that if you are planning to go the tournament route as you advance in your training, it is never too early to start. It's a lot easier to compete against other beginners, even if you are a beginner, too, and then when you are facing stiffer competition it won't be so intimidating. I have only competed in tournaments that were sanctioned by my school, with several students and teachers from our school attending. It can be a great team building experience, and is a fun way to spend time with your dojo mates. At beginning levels and for some time to come, I think it would be a really bad idea for anyone to compete without their sensei's approval, and without a sensei or senior student present. That's my take on it.

If you are wanting to compete then there is no reason not to start now. If your instructor thinks it's okay for you to compete then you should go ahead and do it if that's where your interests lie.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'll go with the "just do it" crowd on this one. If you want to compete, it's rarely to early. Most all credible tournaments are adjusted for skill level and age. Weight class if you're into the free fighting side of things many times. This is very equalizing.

Give it a go and don't take it too seriously. Every event should be a learning experience. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll do fine.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one think it's a good idea. It could help improve your karate. If you lose, you can learn from those mistakes and improve. I am entering one soon as a yellow belt and soon another one as an orange belt. It's a great opportunity to see how well you can put your skills to the test. :karate:

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• 9 months later...

Go for it!!! You'll have fun. Tell us how it goes.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!