• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Makiwara boards- how old do you have to be to use them?

whitegi

My sensei was talking about makiwara boards during today's session. I'm not sixteen yet. I can't remember if he said that under sixteens aren't supposed to use makiwara boards since it damages their growing joints, or if he said that about something else. Does anyone know?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My sensei was talking about makiwara boards during today's session. I'm not sixteen yet. I can't remember if he said that under sixteens aren't supposed to use makiwara boards since it damages their growing joints, or if he said that about something else. Does anyone know?

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this--I feel like children should have been through their first major growth spurt before starting to use a makiwara. My instructor doesn't have a problem with younger students hitting a makiwara before that because they simply don't hit it hard enough to cause problems with the growth of their joints, which may be true but I don't know.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Ok. I think I hit pretty hard, so I might just wait a while. I'll have to start using boards soon anyway. Thanks very much.

If there is a heavy bag you could use instead as there's padding and you can hit it harder

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to second the above advice. You can work more 'stuff' with a bag. The Makiwara should not be used by anyone who hasn't finished growing. That's why an age can't be put on its use, remember some people only finish growing at 21.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

• 1 month later...

Children shouldn't train with a makiwara pad for reasons already stated. I don't allow my adults student to train in the makiwara until 6th Kyu [Green]. Reason is that I want my student to have a more solid understanding and foundation with their Kihon. Incorrect techniques can do profound injuries when training with the makiwara.

Also, training in the makiwara should only be done under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!