• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Washing/Drying a Gi

I'm on the air-dry camp. Dryers shrink cotton and gi's can easily change a size with the wrong setting. Heck, even from washing in cold I have a set of pants or two for BJJ that are more like capri's than pants. Dryers exacerbate this.

It leaves my duffel, gets washed, and then hung to dry. I never iron or dry clean. I'm going to drag these all over the mat after all. The only time they go to the cleaners is when I need patches sewed on or rips repaired.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It leaves my duffel, gets washed, and then hung to dry. I never iron or dry clean. I'm going to drag these all over the mat after all. The only time they go to the cleaners is when I need patches sewed on or rips repaired.

I am exactly the same - out of my bag and into the wash (or to soak in napisan if ther is blood) after every class or training session, hung out to line dry. I agree, within 5 minutes of training the gi is going to look like its not been ironed anyway.

Rips and tears are the domain of my beautiful better half, as I cant sew to save my life! :lol:

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I use 3 gis (very long story why I don't use just one). I prefer heavier gis so I always air-dry them. One of the gis I was told could be air-dried or put in the drier. It doesn't shrink much when put in the drier, however, the string to adjust the waist always gets pulled and twisted around on one end, so I end up having to try to re-adjust it. To save myself the hassle, I air-dry it as well. If I ever get stains I ask my mother how to clean it. If it gets a small tear along the seam, I sometimes can mend it but if it's big tear along the seam or rip elsewhere, I ask my mother to sew it. If she cant, then it's brought to a store that specializes in re-adjusting and mending clothing, only about 12 minutes car drive from my house.

• 1 month later...