• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Technique(s) Without Thought!!

Our actions, as MAists, mostly depend, imho, that our technique(s) are automatic; without restricting thought.

"He who hesitates, meditates horizontally."~ Ed Parker

"I do not hit, 'it' hits all by itself." ~Bruce Lee

With not much of an premise...

How much does the subliminal affect the quality of ones technique(s)?

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3 words - ShuHaRi

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

3 words - ShuHaRi

Playing devils advocate...[i'm a staunch proponent of ShuHaRi]

Doesn't the concept of ShuHaRi eventually depend on one to have a deliberate thought?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Very true but involved in the final "Ri" part Mushin or no minds comes into play - or as Sufi Lee said to Lau in "Enter the Dragon"

Don't think, feel......."

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

The ability to function on an automatic level without consciously making a decision is imperative in martial function. If you think of it in terms of the OODA loop, by training to make the Decision portion of the loop automatic you move thru your loop faster than the other guy. By moving thru our loop quicker and slowing your bad guys you drastically increase your chances of winning.

This is why stimulus response training is so important. It ingrains immediate action into a fighter. It helps lessen the time one spends at the decision part of the loop.

That may or may not be the same as the concept you're talking about above. I've never been one for traditional conceptualization. I doesn't really matter what you call it as long as you're training effective tactics with enough repetition and realism to create action rather than to respond to it.

I use a very basic concept of mushin. Basically, just let my body do what I've taught it to do. If you think about what your toes, knees, hips and spine are doing, you'll not be able to walk.As a baby, you had to think about some of those things in order to figure out how to get away from the chair you pulled yourself up on, but after a while you just did it. If you have joint pain, caused by something in your stride, you may study and correct your gait, but eventually it's ingrained.

A quote from Musashi: "The Way of strategy is the Way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation, you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally. All this is the Way of the Void."

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

The ability to function on an automatic level without consciously making a decision is imperative in martial function. If you think of it in terms of the OODA loop, by training to make the Decision portion of the loop automatic you move thru your loop faster than the other guy. By moving thru our loop quicker and slowing your bad guys you drastically increase your chances of winning.

This is why stimulus response training is so important. It ingrains immediate action into a fighter. It helps lessen the time one spends at the decision part of the loop.

That may or may not be the same as the concept you're talking about above. I've never been one for traditional conceptualization. I doesn't really matter what you call it as long as you're training effective tactics with enough repetition and realism to create action rather than to respond to it.

I agree. But, in order to start it all out, you have to start out by thinking about it. Evaluating why one response is better than another, how to recognize when such response should be initiated, etc.

So yeah, letting "it" hit all by itself is important, but you have to start at square one.

• 3 weeks later...

All about Simultaneous movement

You keep doing something that will become your natual reaction without thinking

Thinking delays you

Martial Arts