• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed my exam

Well, it was difficult, but I passed my exam and was awarded a blue belt in shorin Ryu! It was painful though. Whle I was sparring with the sr black belt. I blocked a front kick with a palm heel block and dislocated my finger. He and sensei freaked out, but I pulled it back into place and asked to continue! I hadn't sparred in over 22 years. He could have kicked my head off and I wouldn't have quit.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well, it was difficult, but I passed my exam and was awarded a blue belt in shorin Ryu! It was painful though. Whle I was sparring with the sr black belt. I blocked a front kick with a palm heel block and dislocated my finger. He and sensei freaked out, but I pulled it back into place and asked to continue! I hadn't sparred in over 22 years. He could have kicked my head off and I wouldn't have quit.

Congratulations! Those mis-timed blocks of front kicks can be brutal on the fingers--I've broken my right index, middle and ring fingers (each on separate occasions) that way.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

OSU congrats

Yes what level is Blue? In my system Blue it 7th Kyu

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Thanks, guys! Blue in this system is 6th kyu. I got to 5th kyu in Shotokan years ago, and my sensei is a 2nd dan in Shotokan. He wanted me to wear my purple belt to his class, but I told him that I would prefer to work my way up in HIS system by his rankings and start from the ground up.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

He practices Seiyo Shorin-Ryu, I believe, so blue belt should be 7th kyu.

Which reminds me--jaypo, do you train out of the hombu dojo for Seiyo Shorin-Ryu in Mesa, AZ? If so, you should come up to Scottsdale and work out with us one of these days!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks, guys! Blue in this system is 6th kyu. I got to 5th kyu in Shotokan years ago, and my sensei is a 2nd dan in Shotokan. He wanted me to wear my purple belt to his class, but I told him that I would prefer to work my way up in HIS system by his rankings and start from the ground up.

Cool :) I take it that you're talking about your sensei from when you did Shotokan?

Anyway, any particular reason why you moved from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu? What are the differences and how are you finding moving from one style to another?

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04