• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate/powerlifting effects and your stats

chrisw08

I was wondering some people say powelifting is good for karate but some people say it slows you down. Curious the lifting weight of some karateka that are pretty high ranked for each body muscle and give your personal opinion if it slows you down or just increases your power. Just curious peoples strength and how it effects your speed mine is below.

My weight

Barbell Bicep curl 60x6

Tricep skull crushers 50x6

Bent over back barbell row 130x3

Upright row medium 90x4

Shoulder barbell press 60x6

Dumbell bench press 63x5

My speed is about half the speed slower because i was realy weak before when i started karate I doubled my weight lifting weight working out extreme for 4 or 5 months. but before i could barely hit now I feel an extreme amount of power in my karate strikes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not be sound rude, but you are not power lifting. You are doing some basic isolation body building exercises. The three power lifting exercises are back squat, deadlift and the bench press. These are a great start along with the myriad of supporting exercises for them, just stay away from the isolation exercises.

First you need to ask yourself what it are your goals? Weight lifting and MA have different conditioning requirements, although both can be used to support the other. If your goals are MA related, do not get into lifting heavy weights, get into lifting many repetitions with weights. Also, look into the Olympic lifts, along with any plyometric exercises.

I thought powerlifting just means anything around the 1-5 rep zone. And i know that creates poweful muscle fibers for exposivness which is good for karate bodybuilding is ment to gain mass and have a nice looking body. I think it is still called powerlifting if you use a 1-5 rep zone in my opinion whether it is isolated or not as long as your doing one or so per body part. Now if your working your biceps in 4 diffrent workouts or your triceps in 3 diffrent workouts I consider that bodybuilding but if your doing like 1-5 rep with heavy weight on 1 workout per bodypart I consider that power lifting at least thats what I thought it was but thanks for the advice.

This is basic physics. F=MV, V=F/M. More F in means more V out. Anyone who thinks that strength makes you slower is deluding themself trying to justify their lack of strength.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

This is basic physics. F=MV, V=F/M. More F in means more V out. Anyone who thinks that strength makes you slower is deluding themself trying to justify their lack of strength.
It depends on what muscles are being strengthened and the muscles employed when using the technique in question. The muscles involved in throwing a crescent kick will not be the same as those used to throw a roundhouse kick. Squats won't help much in the way of throwing the crescent kick and instead, the increased mass you put on by building up your leg muscles could potentially slow you down since you are increasing the M in your equation without doing much for the F. If you work everything out equally though and exercise each muscle to make them all strong, yes you will increase your speed. I find it's more reliable to simply practice the techniques though as I have done experiments with working out certain muscles (for a few months I worked heavily on my right arm's bicep and heavily on my left arm's tricep and found that not only did my left arm actually throw punches faster, but it felt as though my right arm was throwing them slower) and I personally think that unless you have a very balanced workout regiment, you'll end up specializing only in the techniques that make large use of the muscles you are isolating.

Power lifting is a sport in itself. That being said there are many different ways to lift weights. Concentrating on low reps and heavy weights does focus on strength, but any trainer will only keep you lifting like that for one cycle {8-12 weeks} before moving you on to another focus. This mainly does two things, avoids weight room boredom and avoids over training of specific muscles and joints.

Training for sport {like karate or other martial arts} takes a different approach to your conditioning. Notice I said conditioning, not weight lifting, strength training. etc. We need to stop thinking our muscles work as individual units. Our body works as a whole unit, thus our conditioning needs to work that way as well. Take a look at the number of muscles needed to throw a crescent kick or a punch?

Some of the things, as martial artist, we can work on in our conditioning program are lung capacity {VO2 max}, power {not strength}, flexibility and muscle endurance.

Power lifting is a sport in itself. That being said there are many different ways to lift weights. Concentrating on low reps and heavy weights does focus on strength, but any trainer will only keep you lifting like that for one cycle {8-12 weeks} before moving you on to another focus. This mainly does two things, avoids weight room boredom and avoids over training of specific muscles and joints.

Training for sport {like karate or other martial arts} takes a different approach to your conditioning. Notice I said conditioning, not weight lifting, strength training. etc. We need to stop thinking our muscles work as individual units. Our body works as a whole unit, thus our conditioning needs to work that way as well. Take a look at the number of muscles needed to throw a crescent kick or a punch?

Some of the things, as martial artist, we can work on in our conditioning program are lung capacity {VO2 max}, power {not strength}, flexibility and muscle endurance.

Solid post!!! OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)