• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

about kiai's

Baseball players do Kiai. I bet everyone you hear swing or pitch lets out a big grunt. Watch weight lifters if they don't grunt and hiss. Lord knows football players do it. There are many differant ways to Kiai you don't always have to yell or screem.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gehrig,

That is certainely true, however I believe the poster was referring to the Yelling aspect which is often referred to as a "kiai", this I believe to be a bad idea.

One could make a case that I kiai quite often, but I very rarely yell, and on the rare occasion that I do, its because I am "playing".

My point was that one should not yell, thats all.

It is a Japanese word, most of the people here are not Japanese. Non-japanese often use Japanese words differently then Japanese people do. So to most English speaking karate practitioners saying "kiai" means to them "yelling loudly".

When someone says "sensei" they generally mean a karate teacher, not the Japanese meaning. Same for "gi", which means nothing on its own. Or "geri", a japanese Person would get out of the room fast if you said you where going to practice your "geri-waza".

However if you want to debate the translation and meanings of Japanese terms, Im not the person to do it with. I know enough to know that I've made some pretty big mistakes and ought to just speak english.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 2 months later...

I use kiai a lot too, but not everytime :)

When told to get into a stance (zenkutsu dachi ... or any other) I get there while executing kiai. When the count goes to 5 (go) or 10 (ju), I kiai. In katas I kiai and in sparring when I want to signal I've marked a "point'. And sometimes when I feel I'm falling from my feet from exhaustion :D

In the rest I just hiss ... Sounds weird, but thus I can really "empty " the air in my stomach :D :D

• 1 month later...
I still don't know if I am doing the kiai properly. I am embarassed by having to perform a kata by myself, because I don't want to kiai but I have to. At gradings if someone doesn't kiai when they are supposed to they have to do push ups. Any suggestions for doing a proper kiai and getting over my embarassment? :(

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

I still don't know if I am doing the kiai properly. I am embarassed by having to perform a kata by myself, because I don't want to kiai but I have to. At gradings if someone doesn't kiai when they are supposed to they have to do push ups. Any suggestions for doing a proper kiai and getting over my embarassment? :(

Just let it come from deep in you and forget that anyone else is around. I mean, everyone has to do it so there's no need to be embarassed.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.

I hate Kiais! They're the bane of my life. I didn't go in for my belt grading because I didn't want to Kiai! :(

I just point blank refuse to Kiai. I keep telling myself to just do it, but I just can't force myself to no matter how hard I try. I just feel like a doofus.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I love this thread!!! It's interesting to see everyone's interpretation of "Kiai..."

First off, Kiai is "not" an action that you do, but the "by-product" of an action that you have done... Kiai is the sound made when stopping the rapid exhalation of air from the lower diaphragm. The faster you contract the lower diaphragm, the quicker you have to stop the contraction at the "focal" point - thus a louder Kiai.

This is all a Kiai is! So to determine when the Kiai is appropriate, ask youself as to when you need quick/rapid lower diaphragm contraction for a given body movement??? This is when you need to Kiai...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I hate Kiais! They're the bane of my life. I didn't go in for my belt grading because I didn't want to Kiai! :(

I just point blank refuse to Kiai. I keep telling myself to just do it, but I just can't force myself to no matter how hard I try. I just feel like a doofus.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one! :lol: :karate:

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

It's good to know that I'm not the only one! :lol: :karate:

*hugs Shorty*

Dang Kiais!

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.