• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

about kiai's

the answer is simple...No. :lol: Kiai, is used to channel internal energy at a specific moment through an attack, to do more damage than normally possible.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything you can get with a yell, you can get without. Yelling helps bring out the aggression, it will help focus you, but it's not neccessary for powerful strikes.

If it really did give you more power baseball players would use it as well.

Watch some full contact fights, you'll never see one. If you have your mouth open and get hit your jaw will break, better of just keeping your mouth closed.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Look, a "kiai" is not a yell..if you yell, you'll just sound stupid, and it will do you no good. However, if a "kiai" is done properly from your core, your "gut" with your mouth shut, then it will ADD to the power of an attack. No one said that you can't get powerful attacks without one, it's just used to channed internal engery, and add it to an attack. Quite simply, a "kiai" is exhaling from your core, or your gut upon imact. When you lift weights, do you hold your breath?? No, you exhale. Same concept. A "kiai" is useful, when PROPERLY. :karate:

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

I always do on the heavy bag and in pad kicking drills, in sparring I use it sporadically, not sure why.

Interestingly I had a Tae Kwon Do instructor once who told us to use "ice" instead because it was a more natural word for english speakers and still created the stomach tightening effect. Over the years my Kiai" has becaome a noise somewhere between "us and ice".

The sounds different people make is always curious to me. There is a guy in our school who has my favorite Kiai, it sounds like he is growling or roaring every time! I tried it one day and made myself hoarse LOL !

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^