about kiai's

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that you don't have to use a kiai with every technique. But if you ever take notice of when you work on technique, and at each strike you have an exhale of air, I liken that to a kiai because I'm tightening as I strike and tensing my body as well, which in turn allows me to absorb a punch of kick should/when/if I get countered on. Hope this was of some help.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I believe in kiai'ng whenever possible

Kiai represents 'Spirit Shout'

To kiai is to show a strong and understod use of spirit and power. Also kimae is at the heart of a proper kiai.

When practising i kiai wherever i can - the louder and stronger the kiai the more powerful the technique shall become.

Also kiai can be used to control your strengths and weaknesses, Kiai's can be limited (for example in kata's) to techniques after a set number - or on a certain technique in a pattern.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

thank u for the answering my questions. I already know that with using the spirit shout will bring out your ki to your body and startle your oppenents to give u a open shot. i was just not sure if i were to use it all the time.

Whatever happens happens

I don't use a kihap (kiai) often. But I do "tighten" everything as if I was for technique. The only time I actually use kihaps is for step sparring (to signal to my partner) or in forms. I was told I have sharp technique. And my instructor was shocked when I was kicked in the tummy (no gear) and I was "tight" without a kihap. So I guess it doesn't matter if I use it or not. I have a dumb kihap anyways LOL. I just say "hey" :lol:

Laurie F

In class I force myself too. However I would be telling a story if I said I put my all into it. It becomes more a repitation than anything. When I spar I only use them on what I would consider kill shots. Meaning the big punch or the big kick. If you use them to much they loose there effect IMO. The biggest effect being suprise.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

when executed properly, the kiai, is used to add internal energy to a strike. Sure it may startle or surprise an opponent, but that frails in comparison to it's main purpose, which is to induce internal energy, and add it to an attack, making the effects more volital. But it must be done properly, a Kiai must come from your central, your "gut", otherwise it's just a scream or loud noise, and does nothing but make you sound funny.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati