• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As PS1 said the belt ranks are same for bjj in general all around for the adults.

The requirments and procedures to get each belt vary from instructor to instructor. Some have Belt Tests, with varying requirements. Some don't and instructor hands you a belt when he feels your ready for it. Some have stripes some don't. Example Jacarae out of Atlanta(Alliance) They don't do stripes at all.

Some base it on getting promoted quicker because of competition. Some don't. Some it can be soley based on Competiton. One student of Baret Yoshida said he will only prommote someone to a belt level if they win a major tournament.

Belts just depends on the standards of the instructor. Some schools may have tougher guys than others. It all depends on the standards of the instructor.

This makes sense. I guess true belt levels are only known on the mat. I thought there had to be some standard for all the competitions, for what would stop a blue belt from putting on a white belt to compete?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing other than integrity. Some grappling tournaments set divisions by training time, but same deal there.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

As PS1 said the belt ranks are same for bjj in general all around for the adults.

The requirments and procedures to get each belt vary from instructor to instructor. Some have Belt Tests, with varying requirements. Some don't and instructor hands you a belt when he feels your ready for it. Some have stripes some don't. Example Jacarae out of Atlanta(Alliance) They don't do stripes at all.

Some base it on getting promoted quicker because of competition. Some don't. Some it can be soley based on Competiton. One student of Baret Yoshida said he will only prommote someone to a belt level if they win a major tournament.

Belts just depends on the standards of the instructor. Some schools may have tougher guys than others. It all depends on the standards of the instructor.

This makes sense. I guess true belt levels are only known on the mat. I thought there had to be some standard for all the competitions, for what would stop a blue belt from putting on a white belt to compete?

The biggest reason is integrity. Equally important is the fact that grapplers are about the challenge and love bragging rights. We have a saying, "On the mat the truth will out!" No one brags about winning against white belts. If anything, people are more likely to grapple up than down.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Congrats to you, Ueshirokarate!

You'll have to ask some of the guys with more experience in BJJ, but a lot of requirements vary by school. The greatest thing about wearing low rank in another style, especially so different than stand up, is getting to relax and just train.

You know, you're right. I hadn't thought about it in that sense. Probably one of the reasons I enjoy it so much right now. There is no pressure to perform up to your rank, no thinking of helping or correcting others, etc. It is just shut up and train.

I found this to be true as well when I started up Aikido. Its nice to just set back and be a student again.

Congrats to you, Ueshirokarate!
You'll have to ask some of the guys with more experience in BJJ, but a lot of requirements vary by school. The greatest thing about wearing low rank in another style, especially so different than stand up, is getting to relax and just train.

You know, you're right. I hadn't thought about it in that sense. Probably one of the reasons I enjoy it so much right now. There is no pressure to perform up to your rank, no thinking of helping or correcting others, etc. It is just shut up and train.

I found this to be true as well when I started up Aikido. Its nice to just set back and be a student again.

Thank you!

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)