• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrestled together in high school, trained in our first style together, run a school together now. He brings the BJJ back for us. Not a bad guy. Oh yeah, he's my brother too. :D

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestled together in high school, trained in our first style together, run a school together now. He brings the BJJ back for us. Not a bad guy. Oh yeah, he's my brother too. :D

I can't imagine the fights you guys had as kids. :lol:

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Your instructor must have seen something he liked in the time you've been training to put a stripe on you. Congrats buddy.

Says the guy who came in with a new stripe today! Good work yourself bro.

Hey I posted this several hours before I went to my weekly training and I had no idea that my promotion was coming either.

Your instructor must have seen something he liked in the time you've been training to put a stripe on you. Congrats buddy.

Says the guy who came in with a new stripe today! Good work yourself bro.

You guys train together??? Congrats back to you pittbull...

Thanks buddy. Yeah we've trained together a bit as Shorikid said.

Well, it was an interesting childhood. These days, we're the guys no one stops when we spar too hard or try to see which one needs less blood to remain upright and alert. Heck, he made me real pretty for Christmas pictures last year. He's a great training partner. Yeah, I brag on the guy now and then.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Well, it was an interesting childhood. These days, we're the guys no one stops when we spar too hard or try to see which one needs less blood to remain upright and alert. Heck, he made me real pretty for Christmas pictures last year. He's a great training partner. Yeah, I brag on the guy now and then.

He may brag on me but the real bragging should be Shorikid for the martial artist he's made me stand up wise. Heck he's on of the toughest bjj guys that's never trained in bjj. I just try to pass stuff on to improve my students that I call friends.

He may brag on me but the real bragging should be Shorikid for the martial artist he's made me stand up wise. Heck he's on of the toughest bjj guys that's never trained in bjj. I just try to pass stuff on to improve my students that I call friends.

Now this is quite interesting. One of the reasons I got into BJJ was that it was one of the most popular styles of martial arts these days and I was curious as to how to defend against it as a practitioner of Matsubayashi Ryu.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Now this is quite interesting. One of the reasons I got into BJJ was that it was one of the most popular styles of martial arts these days and I was curious as to how to defend against it as a practitioner of Matsubayashi Ryu.

When he says I've never trained BJJ, you have to know what that means. I have never been to a formal BJJ class. I've done a couple of grappling seminars, my Matsubayashi Ryu instructor had a bit of judo training. And we've always grappled. Pittbulljudoka has been helping use clean up our technique, which before was....rough at best.

The best way to defend against BJJ as a Matsubayashi Ryu practitioner as as follows, my opinion only of course. Work wrestling for take down defense and for that quick scramble and escape mentality. Then go train some BJJ. Once you know the positions, how you need to get there and get a feel for them, you get the idea of what's coming if you're on the ground. No more panic, no more complete lack of skill.

When he says I've never trained BJJ, you have to know what that means. I have never been to a formal BJJ class. I've done a couple of grappling seminars, my Matsubayashi Ryu instructor had a bit of judo training. And we've always grappled. Pittbulljudoka has been helping use clean up our technique, which before was....rough at best.

The best way to defend against BJJ as a Matsubayashi Ryu practitioner as as follows, my opinion only of course. Work wrestling for take down defense and for that quick scramble and escape mentality. Then go train some BJJ. Once you know the positions, how you need to get there and get a feel for them, you get the idea of what's coming if you're on the ground. No more panic, no more complete lack of skill.

Funny, I now train BJJ mostly because it is fun. I think I have said this before on here, training judo for a short time really helped me understand the Matsubayashi Ryu katas on a whole different level. There has been no such further revelation in studying BJJ, as takedowns aren't all that different than Judo. But BJJ has made me much less fearful of what if I am on the ground and the dude knows how to wrestle. (The ground work training at the Judo school I trained in consisted of you being a uke for someone who knew what they were doing all with little direction.)

I have really studied karate in some depth over the past year or so and I am not talking about traditional Matsubayashi dojo stuff, but more researching other styles of karate and combat in general for further insight into kata application, as well as books like the Bubishi and (can't recommend it enough) Lawrence Kane's "The Way of Kata." I like to think I know more than most, but there are so many out there who know so much more than I do. I do wish to figure out each and every move in each and every kata I know. Too bad there is so much bad bunkai out there to sort through.

Matsubayashi Ryu

As PS1 said the belt ranks are same for bjj in general all around for the adults.

The requirments and procedures to get each belt vary from instructor to instructor. Some have Belt Tests, with varying requirements. Some don't and instructor hands you a belt when he feels your ready for it. Some have stripes some don't. Example Jacarae out of Atlanta(Alliance) They don't do stripes at all.

Some base it on getting promoted quicker because of competition. Some don't. Some it can be soley based on Competiton. One student of Baret Yoshida said he will only prommote someone to a belt level if they win a major tournament.

Belts just depends on the standards of the instructor. Some schools may have tougher guys than others. It all depends on the standards of the instructor.