• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I was taken completely by surprise today when my instructor put a stripe on my belt. I have only been training a few weeks and I am totally ignorant of BJJ ranks, other than I know the guys with blue belts or above can usually eat me for breakfast when we roll. At this point, rank is completely an after-thought to me in this art as I am really just studying it to learn it. Perhaps if I start to compete, rank will be of more importance to me. That said, it was very gratifying to receive the stripe today. I guess my skill has improved a bit, though I can't really judge it myself. It is very humbling to be a low rank again (in a good way) and learning an art new for the first time.

Is there a specific criteria for rank? Is it school by school?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to ask some of the guys with more experience in BJJ, but a lot of requirements vary by school. The greatest thing about wearing low rank in another style, especially so different than stand up, is getting to relax and just train.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

You'll have to ask some of the guys with more experience in BJJ, but a lot of requirements vary by school. The greatest thing about wearing low rank in another style, especially so different than stand up, is getting to relax and just train.

You know, you're right. I hadn't thought about it in that sense. Probably one of the reasons I enjoy it so much right now. There is no pressure to perform up to your rank, no thinking of helping or correcting others, etc. It is just shut up and train.

I must say my teacher is really amazing. He's been training for 20+ years and it shows. He was rolling with one guy today telling him what to do in one breath and telling another guy rolling with someone else what to do in the next breath.

Matsubayashi Ryu

I think this sort of thing is pretty common in many BJJ schools. According to tallgeese, sometimes you will be thrown a stripe or even a full rank when your instructor thinks your ready. In this way, rankings can be seen a more informal than with other systems.

That being said you better be able to back up your rank on the mat.

Congrats!!!

BTW: White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black

Now you know the rank system. When you get it and how you get it differ drastically from one school to the next. On average, between 8 and 12 years to black belt.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Congrats!!!

Now you know the rank system. When you get it and how you get it differ drastically from one school to the next. On average, between 8 and 12 years to black belt.

Lulz... Thought there may be some standard measure, since competition seems to be the rule more than the exception.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Congrats!!!

Lulz... Thought there may be some standard measure, since competition seems to be the rule more than the exception.

Actually, competition is not the standard measure in most bjj schools as competition makes up only 30% of the art. On top of that, if competition was the rule, there would be very few people ever promoted as there's only one winner of a division. It can play into decisions, but is not necessary. That said, there are schools that focus totally on competiton. But to call them BJJ is a little deceptive, in my opinion.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Your instructor must have seen something he liked in the time you've been training to put a stripe on you. Congrats buddy.

Says the guy who came in with a new stripe today! Good work yourself bro.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Your instructor must have seen something he liked in the time you've been training to put a stripe on you. Congrats buddy.

Says the guy who came in with a new stripe today! Good work yourself bro.

You guys train together??? Congrats back to you pittbull...

Matsubayashi Ryu