• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Now That's A Hard Punch!!

He's probably had multiple concussions if he's getting hit like that. That is not a good thing, you can get depressed and demented and suicidal. LIke those football players (I forget the names). Just wondering if you hard contact folks worry about that!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
He's probably had multiple concussions if he's getting hit like that. That is not a good thing, you can get depressed and demented and suicidal. LIke those football players (I forget the names). Just wondering if you hard contact folks worry about that!
Well, I'm pretty sure he was aware that he was Boxing, and not point sparring. He would have been aware that someone was going to try to hit him hard and knock him out. I'd say that's full disclosure.

I meant to also say... of course if people are aware of the risks, it is their right to participate. Maybe I am more sensitive to it because I once worked in a facility with a lot of head injured folks, and it was not pretty. Well, if you're gonna do it, I just hope you are really good at blocking your head.

For competitive fighters, it's a matter of knowing when to quit. For those who train for self defense and hobby purposes, the level of contact should be kept below what causes concussion. For that matter, a fighter should never be concussed while training.

Non contact or excessively light contact will teach bad habits, and regularly fighting at over about 60% power can cause lasting damage. It's important to find a balance if you are going to last long. I've done 20 years of reasonably hard contact, and I am no dumber than I was before. I've even learned not to pick my nose in public during that time.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'm glad you have accomlished that last mentioned skill, MP. One of the doctors I work with still needs to work on that one. :lol:

I actually agree with your comment about excessively light or no contact. I personally am in favor of medium hard contact to the body and light contact to the head, at advanced ranks, sometimes point sparring and sometimes continuous. If people want to go all out hard contact to the body, have at it! Bruises and broken bones will heal, brain injuries will not. It sounds like you are very aware of the issue and work within certain parameters, so that's cool. I'm sure not everyone doing hard sparring does, though, but oh well, what can you do. It probably accounts for only a small portion of all the idiocy in the world, anyway. He he.