• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amateur full contact

rishimetawala

Can't speak to how early the sparring is, because schools and styles vary. I'm pretty sure Evergrey's school's idea of what a new student should be experiencing is a lot different than someone from a forms-centric school for instance.

Her school does not have kids with a month's experience trying to kill each other. 100% at this stage is simply a bad idea.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give people the benefit of the doubt a lot. Not only do I go o.O at a lot of things that I see in schools that are considered "normal", but I also do things that make people go o.O or O.o from other schools. Usually not the same things from person to person.

I have no idea what that teacher was thinking, but I won't instantly conclude that the teacher wasn't thinking. I don't even know that I have an accurate account using accepted terminology.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yeah... have you ever been hit by a noob without a glove? "risk of injury" was something that I couldn't really associate with the experience.

It doesn't seem kosher to me. That said, for one, the location given by the OP is outside of the U.S. - different sort of cultural norms in this regard are probable. Second, all of the things that seem to make it a really bad idea seem like they tend to cancel out to me.

I'm not sure if it was idiocy or brilliance or somewhere in between, so i'm just going to say "..I wouldn't have done it that way, I don't know anyone else who would do it like that, and I don't know what the guy was thinking having you do that, but here's some ideas on how to help with your question."

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I dont agree with letting people without a decent amount of training spar "100%". As Masterpain said, injuries hurt you, and they hurt your training partners.

I believe that you should train a hard as you can without risking injury. That doesn't mean taking it easy on each other. But if your going to slug it out, put on some gear.

I knew of a TSD dojang in CA that has their noobs spar with blockers only, that ones that anybody can get from Century, and noobs were not allowed to kick.

I thought it was a decent idea; one that I hadn't seen before.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

thank you everyone for their prompt replies.

me and 3 others(except one,who was a kickboxer with 8 months of training) were all beginners, my sensei threw us in to experience what it was like.

i would agree with wastelander, its more like muscle memory, i wasn't particularly defending well, and my punches weren't going through as well.

i let this kickboxing guy have a go at me, i wanted to get him tired and when he was, it was my turn, he hit me quite a bit. in the end, the sparring ended up with him forfeiting as i threw in a real good defense to his punch which ultimately ended up spraining his arm.7o

i even let my guard down and took all the punches onto my chest to lower his confidence, i guess that was a bad choice?

@masterpain yes full contact=all out, except fr the groin and the face, no protection

I have some major issues here. I said you guys have no business going all out, and you just proved it. Someone was injured, injuries in the dojo hurt everyone, not just the injured person. You now have 1 less person to help you grow. Any good teacher would not allow this.

Second, don't disrespect your training partners like that. Dropping your guard and taking hits to hurt someone's confidence is terribly disrespectful, Besides, the chest is not a good target, he should have hit you in the liver.

I would find somewhere to train that will not get you hurt, and I would be more respectful to my training partners.

point taken, i would be careful the next tym and see to it i dont disrespect him, we are now not going to spar for quite some time now thats for sure, my sensei told it was just an exposure and to know where we stand.

And i can understand everyone questioning the sparring happening so soon, to be honest even i wasn't sure if it was a good idea as i would simply risk an injury, i dont know what my sensei thinks, but one thing i feel that came good out of it was that i know

How much efforts i need to put in my training and where i was going wrong. We are given a choice to fight or to stay back, the next time i suppose i will stay back untill i polish some skills

Interesting and mixed views here.

My 2 cents:

My first tennis coach told me over and over "practice does not make perfect, PERFECT preactice makes perfect".

Also - we train for a specific reason right?

Noone ever became a pro at skydiving by eating watermelons if you catch my drift.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Noone ever became a pro at skydiving by eating watermelons if you catch my drift.

You're right, they take a class, learn a bunch of stuff in the classroom, and then make their first jump. Of course, that jump has them attached to an instructor and is at low altitude.

Sparring that hard that early is like going to skydiving school, and on the first day they tell you to pack your own chute, strap an oxygen mask to you, and tell you to perform HALO jump.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

thank you everyone for their insights, all points taken,

on another note, how do i improve my punches? apart from practicing, how much does a punching bag actually help?

and i have heard some people talk about hitting on the walls, is that recommended?