• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defences to try against someone who 'blitzes' suggestions ?

hertsmas

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fantastic information in this post. In my first tournament I faced a couple of guys that loved to blitz. I scored some points by using front leg speed.

Last possible moment pop up and nail them with a mae geri or yoko geri to the abs or chest.

Also scored a point with a slide forwards and off angle 45 degrees and a scoring a chudan mawashi geri off the back leg.

Personally I find it more difficult to fight guys that spar off the back foot!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not use Sabaki?? Stepping to the blind side of the opponent and taking advantage of them that way. It would definitely make them think twice from 'blitzing' you, if you always end up to their side burying a hiza geri into their floating rib area!

Why not use Sabaki?? Stepping to the blind side of the opponent and taking advantage of them that way. It would definitely make them think twice from 'blitzing' you, if you always end up to their side burying a hiza geri into their floating rib area!

All good in theory but blitzers usually tend to be bigger with bigger arms and legs so will be able to follow you round. You've really got to leave it to the very last minute to move which can be risky.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

All good in theory but blitzers usually tend to be bigger with bigger arms and legs so will be able to follow you round. You've really got to leave it to the very last minute to move which can be risky.

Agreed, but as smaller people, that last second move/counter is our bread and butter. We can't go toe-to-toe with someone that has reach and weight on us, especially against a blitz, but as we generally are more flexible and quicker, we can use that to our advantage.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Agreed, but as smaller people, that last second move/counter is our bread and butter. We can't go toe-to-toe with someone that has reach and weight on us, especially against a blitz, but as we generally are more flexible and quicker, we can use that to our advantage.

Works great if you're good at it and yeah it is harder when you're smaller to go toe-to-toe. I hate it when smaller people are constantly moving around me :P But it's still a risk to do it. Often times, as the bigger person, I can anticipate that my opponent will want to move that way and my blitz then becomes more of a fake and I'm then waiting for them to step into my attack.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When Bob and I had the chance to train together, we worked on some blitzing defense together. I've never really been blitzed like that before, so it was a new experience for me.

The main thing was getting off the line. The tough part, as opposed to getting off the line at a 45 degree angle, is getting over the aggressiveness of the blitz itself. It can be quite an imposing sight with a big barreling at you that fast.

Another option is to jam the blitz. Its less artful, and may require in a bit more of a physical sacrifice, but if you rush in, close the distance with them, and end up hip to hip or chest to chest, it shuts down the blitz.

The blitz is suppose to be that...an alarming and overwhelming surprise, especially for someone's whose never experienced a blitz. There's not enough earth to prepare one for a well executed blitz; one can back-up/retreat all they want until they're overcame by the torrential rush.

However, an unskilled practitioner executing their first blitz can find themselves off balanced and tripping over their own feet at the most improper time.

Those who can handle the most prepared blitz with an uncanny ease aren't going to succumb to many things unless they're just caught totally by surprise.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The blitz is suppose to be that...an alarming and overwhelming surprise, especially for someone's whose never experienced a blitz. There's not enough earth to prepare one for a well executed blitz; one can back-up/retreat all they want until they're overcame by the torrential rush.

However, an unskilled practitioner executing their first blitz can find themselves off balanced and tripping over their own feet at the most improper time.

Those who can handle the most prepared blitz with an uncanny ease aren't going to succumb to many things unless they're just caught totally by surprise.

:)

Extremely well said. I've face-planted more than once while learning to blitz.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█