• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defences to try against someone who 'blitzes' suggestions ?

hertsmas

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with it. Would it be similar to chopping, rising, or piercing cutevelhada forms, or is it a closed hand technique involving the receivers' elbow, or what?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

That's an elbow strike.. a "punch" is pretty much defined as striking with a closed hand, and an elbow does not use the hand..

All those are cutevelhada in my art, and anyone but me will look at you blankly if you say it. JKD is anything but standard and so saying something is "from JKD" is little better than "That one THING, you know, the one that goes pow!"

in any case, to answer the question.

It.. could be useful, yes.. but not so much because the technique is inherently super effective.

Rather, it's because it is at a very close in range, which means that you are moving in close, probably closer than the rusher likes, and using techniques on them from there; this is completely unlike the response that the blitz is effective against, which is backing up fearfully to be pummeled by the aggressive blitzer at will.

in short, it's a good technique to use if only for the fact that you are forcing the blitzer off book into a topic that they did not intend to cover.

Of course, if you think "I'll do an elbow strike and win", you are sadly mistaken. Once you bring the topic into close range where elbows are meaningful, you're going to need to be able to hold up your end of the interaction. You'll need a whole selection of techniques.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

One of my most favorite things to do when someone blitzes on me...I use my longest weapon...kicks...to intercept their attack. For me, that just works quite well for me. If their weapon can't reach you, then their weapon is greatly diminished in its effectiveness.

I am a fairly small person, and I actually find that Sensei8's method works well for me also. It took me a long time to work out how exactly to get my jamming kick in with just the right timing and posture though. I had to eliminate a good deal of excess motion and relax more to increase speed. Also, I had to get used to the feeling of my kick hitting a target that would not go back as I struck it. It's a totally different feeling than kicking something mobile like a bag. If in a blitz situation you kick the same way as when your opponent is stationary or backing up, you may or may not go flying backwards. To prevent this from happening I went out into a park and found a big rock to kick for about 30 min a day.

Even if a jamming kick doesn't earn a point by itself, it will surely make an opponent think twice about running at you full speed. Also, if you can keep your center of gravity where you want it, a jam-kick can be a good set-up for another swiftly-following strike.

Just wanted to throw this in. You can push the heavy bag back and forth so it gains some forward-backward momentum and, as its coming back, you can fire a kick/punch/etc. to help better prepare you for hitting a charging opponent. The heavier the bag, the better.

A good drill for improving your angles is one we call the "Eight Directions Drill". I go in-depth with it in another thread here on KF:

http://www.karateforums.com/post469512.html#469512

We do something similar but we only have six directions in our exercises. We call them the six pivot points. There is left, right, inside left (northwest), inside right (northeast), outside left (southwest), and outside right (southeast). They are all strictly evasive maneuvers which is why we do not practice forward and back during the exercise.