• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Floor drill training

Deshikyle

Hail! I've been training in Kobayashi Shorin-ryu karate for about a year now and ive recently started upping my training more at home. One of the major things i need to work on are 'floor drills' for testing and general class use.

The sensei calls out a several move string, for example, front kick, lunge punch, back fist, crescent kick. You then decide how to execute the moves in order that makes the most sense.

I've been doing some at home using flash cards i made with the vocabulary written on them, but its time consuming to shuffle them all up, pull 5 out and lay them out, especially with the windy weather we've had lately.

What i'm looking for is a phone app that will let me program in words and hit a button to pull up a 3-6 word string for my drills.

Any ideas or links would be appreciated! Thanks!

Dammate keiko, translation: "shut up and train"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure there is an app like that. There are some Martial Arts apps out there, though. Just do a search in your phone's market and see what you come up with.

What you could do is just right down some floor drill combinations you want to work on, and practice that way. If you reall want random still, set up some moves on a piece of paper, and number them 1 through 6, and then roll dice and see what pops up. Might be faster than flash cards.

thats not a half bad idea, thanks. I've done some searching on the app store and found a few, but they were not customizable or were from styles too far from what im doing.

Not as slick as a dedicated app would be, but how about a random number generator? Get a list of techniques and number them, generate 6 numbers, and then do those 6 techniques? There's got to be an app for that surely?

btw, are you on an iPhone or Android or something as that might limit the apps available to you.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you already have all the techniques listed on a bunch of flash cards, the answer is pretty simple actually. Randomly determine a combination, write it down in a notebook, and then repeat for as many combinations as you would like to work on for that day. Try to do maybe 20 repetitions of each combination.

well im looking for the randomness portion. the sensei like to throw stuff at you that you wouldnt normally do to see how you react and chain the set, if im repeating the same ones over and over im not getting what im shooting for.

Just Trying to just train my brain to quickly come up with the combos

It is funny how thinking about it too much can actually make it weird. I know they have apps for note cards on several devices, but not sure how random they get.

Van

well im looking for the randomness portion. the sensei like to throw stuff at you that you wouldnt normally do to see how you react and chain the set, if im repeating the same ones over and over im not getting what im shooting for.

I think that's what Kuma is saying. Before you start your work out, do all the shuffling and drawing of cards and write all the techniques down then get to work.

Redraw them all next time you work out so you can have a different set to work with.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think that's what Kuma is saying. Before you start your work out, do all the shuffling and drawing of cards and write all the techniques down then get to work.

Redraw them all next time you work out so you can have a different set to work with.

That's correct DWx. A little planning beforehand is sometimes all you need to make sure your workout runs smoothly.