Wearing your uniform outside of class

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some times I shower at home after training and then I might drive home with my gi on. Other reason for wearing a Gi outside dojo could be an outdoor training session. We use to do those, in 80' but not so much lately:)

I agree with outdoor training too. It's a training uniform.

I don't really like the message I feel wearing my hi outside sends. I'm weird and private in that way.

Some times I shower at home after training and then I might drive home with my gi on. Other reason for wearing a Gi outside dojo could be an outdoor training session. We use to do those, in 80' but not so much lately:)

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I wear my karate gi to and from class, but not my judo gi. It's just the cultures of the different classes-- in karate almost every one wears their gi to and from class (sans belt-- for some reason we carry our belts to and from class), but in judo everyone changes before and after class... I just follow the crowd...

I do have a funny story, though. One day after class I realized I really needed to get gas and didn't have time the next morning to get it, so I stopped at the gas station in my gi and tried to pump my gas as inconspicuously as possible when a giant pickup pulled into a parking spot and just sat there for a minute. I was getting worried because it looked like the kind of truck a trouble maker would drive (I stereotype... sorry...) and I was trying to cover my gi as much as possible. All of a sudden the door opens and our junior black belt jumps out in his full gi with his belt on and runs into the store and I notice his brown belt father and our instructor sitting in the front seats... I laughed out loud.

I'm pretty self conscious so Ill get changed in the toilets at the dojo, other times if Im running late or its raining heavily I'll get changed in the house and dive into the car so neighbours dont see me.

I've never been told otherwise, but I've always left my belt until just before entering the Dojo.

No way I could wear my Gi around the village I live, its not rough, but I'd rather people not know I do karate for confrontational issues.

My sensei wears a club training top and I know has been challenged by some drunk idiots when out with his family ''come on Karate man, fight me!'' I think people have realised now that hes not one to be messed with.

Wado

I have three options

1. after training take off my belt, throw on a jacket and walk to the bus stop safely.

2. change into a t-shirt, pack belt and gi top into bag and run to the bus stop in the nick of time.

3. change into civvies, pack gi into bag and run to the bus stop like a madman across several lanes of traffic, bounce off a car or two and still end up walking the eight miles home, assuming nothing is broken.

Since the club won't change its training times and I can't force the bus company to run a later service I tend to prefer the first option...

I don't wear my uniform outside of class. Personally I would feel awkward walking around in my uniform.

I have been training in martial arts for over 18 years in karate, Muay Thai, BJJ, and wrestling.

I have three options

1. after training take off my belt, throw on a jacket and walk to the bus stop safely.

2. change into a t-shirt, pack belt and gi top into bag and run to the bus stop in the nick of time.

3. change into civvies, pack gi into bag and run to the bus stop like a madman across several lanes of traffic, bounce off a car or two and still end up walking the eight miles home, assuming nothing is broken.

Since the club won't change its training times and I can't force the bus company to run a later service I tend to prefer the first option...

Haha, the stuff us Wado students have to go through eh!? :D

Wado

Haha, the stuff us Wado students have to go through eh!? :D

Well at least I only look like an 80s throwback in my white trousers and training jacket. I always get changed fully after Iaido practice as it doesn't pay to wander around the streets of Yorkshire in what looks like a skirt.