Wearing your uniform outside of class

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew one school owner who wore his gi when he ran out for fast food between classes. He said it was great marketing. People would see him in his gi and ask questions.
If its done right, it can be. After all, most demos are done in public, too.

I try to avoid wearing my gi out in public, but sometimes it just has to be done. I think of wearing your gi (especially full gi with belt, jacket, pants) to be an embarrassment personally. It is to me what wearing underwear is. It's no embarrassment to wear it where appropriate, but to be caught in public with it is where it gets embarrassing.

EDIT: and the reason full gi would be more embarrassing than with simply the jacket+pants is simply because of the rank designation that wearing a black belt would imply. It's simply not good news and attracts unnecessary attention to yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you're going to a grading, examination, demonstration or competition or anything like that - you don't really need to be wearing your gi/dobok/uniform/etc.

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do

I sometimes train outside my house wearing my full gi or at demonstrations. Other than that, I don't like to wear my gi outside because it's underwear. It's the equivalent of parading around a store in a pair of my sweaty boxers and having someone say, "I noticed the logo on your sweaty boxers, what training did you do to make them sweaty?" Not exactly a flattering image.

I sometimes train outside my house wearing my full gi or at demonstrations. Other than that, I don't like to wear my gi outside because it's underwear. It's the equivalent of parading around a store in a pair of my sweaty boxers and having someone say, "I noticed the logo on your sweaty boxers, what training did you do to make them sweaty?" Not exactly a flattering image.

If your gi is underwear, are you doing Vale Tudo?

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

It's kinda gross isn't it? I don't know about everyone else, but we get very sweaty and my gi basically becomes like a wet washcloth full of my and other people's sweat. I take a clean gi to class, change into it and train, change back out of it to go somewhere else.

Not many people go to a gym, work out hard, then go hang out in the supermarket drenched in sweaty gym clothes.

It's just weird.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It's kinda gross isn't it? I don't know about everyone else, but we get very sweaty and my gi basically becomes like a wet washcloth full of my and other people's sweat. I take a clean gi to class, change into it and train, change back out of it to go somewhere else.

Not many people go to a gym, work out hard, then go hang out in the supermarket drenched in sweaty gym clothes.

It's just weird.

Totally agree!!!!!!!

Solid Post!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

If your gi is underwear, are you doing Vale Tudo?

I haven't studied Vale Tudo.

Respectfully, where did you get the idea that a gi is underwear? It's actually a very modern invention which, like the belt system, was developed by Jigoro Kano for uses in Judo. Everyone else just followed suit. It's not and never was underwear.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."