• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing your uniform outside of class

Round these parts, wher folks use the phrase "round these parts" without irony, wearing a gi out and about is a good way to get in a fight.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round these parts, wher folks use the phrase "round these parts" without irony, wearing a gi out and about is a good way to get in a fight.

I could see that problem arising, especially for a man. When I was much younger and was still learning how to behave outside of the dojo I got into a situation where people would want to "challenge" me to fights frequently, but most of the guys were very wimpy. I guess it makes sense, you've got to be pretty low in the pecking order to gain street cred by fighting a small girl wearing glasses.

I've had nerds come at me with knives before, but I probably wouldn't know about tough guys wanting to keep up their reputations.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

For a fight about REPUTATION you're talking about a dominance thing. Rams locking horns and the winner goes off with the girl. Women do this too, but not with physical violence as a rule.

However, the general principle is still about "making it boring". A criminal doesn't want a fair fight, they want someone they can absolutely dominate without effort. They want easy victims.

So if someone wants a hit of reputation, they want a target who looks like a tough fight, but isn't. Someone with a gi is inflating their appearance of toughness, and if there are mcdojos about, the appearance is likely to be hollow. So bonus, the guy gets the girl for beating the scary Kerotty guy for knocking down the resident up and coming forms champ.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Prefaced with the phrase "That karate -insert expletive- don't work boy."

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Prefaced with the phrase "That karate -insert expletive- don't work boy."

That's what I say every time I tap someone out with Okinawan tuite.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

So if someone wants a hit of reputation, they want a target who looks like a tough fight, but isn't.
Lol! This is the one situation in life where I can say that I am truly thankful for looking like a total wimp. It's just easier not dealing with all of that silliness, not to mention going into any sort of street situation with the element of surprise on your side.

Women do this too, but not with physical violence as a rule.

Now if I could just figure a way to get out of this dangerous situation...

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

When I see kids wearing them, I don't mind. Not every location has a place where folks can change before and after classes. For parents getting kids to training, the parents many times have to help get the younger ones ready; its just easier for them to do that at home, then come to class fully uniformed. And I know parents have tight schedules, and if a parent has to take a kid to the grocery store in a uniform, I'm cool with that.

With adults, on the other hand, its a different matter. I would tell adult students to arrive early enough to change at the school, if facilities allow for it. At most, I'd suggest they put on the bottoms at home, then put the top and belt on when they arrive at the school, to not attract too much unwanted attention to themselves.

Kids its fine I think but I don't understand how adults can walk around in public with their's on. I'd just feel incredibly self-conscious drawing attention to myself not to mention paranoid about getting it stained. I will wear the bottoms only if I'm driving straight to and from training but always wear a top instead. Plus I like having that differentiation between training time and non-training time. Putting on my dobok top helps me make the switch and focus me on what I'm doing in class rather than what I did during the day.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius