• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rediscovering trapping range.

Over the past few weeks i have found myself becoming more engrossed with trapping range. I suggest that all martial artist that are concerned with combative effectiveness study the teachings of Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak and Bruce Lee. Here are a few videos concerning fighting out of trapping range. One is Guru Inosanto discusing pak sao entries and the other is some very old footage of Bruce Lee practicing wing chun in 1960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNUP9HsZAc&feature=related

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many arts with a lot of useful trapping range material have suffered because their practitioners do not use the art to fight, but rather just practice the art. If we look at these arts through the lens of "how can I use this to beat someone up?" we can find something special.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Clay, thanks for the video links...great stuff.

I'm of the opinion that something which I practice for as long as I've been practicing it, 'it' surely is something that I'll use outside of the dojo. It's natural with me, and it's natural, or will be in time, with every Shindokan practitioner. Trapping is crucially important to our Tuite. It opens/closes so many things before us.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm not even certain that "trapping range" exists as a real distinctive thing.

There are punches that range further than some kicks, and grapples that range further than some punches; there is not even a real, distinct "punching range" or "kicking range" given the flexibility of motion available, beyond the obvious "very long reaching kicks probably have you out of punching range". Even then, does anyone just stand with their feet glued to the floor and attack in place? Space is always being renegotiated.

"Trapping range" doesn't really have any special claim to range that I can see. They may be great techniques, but they aren't possessed of a special space of their own.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

There are punches that range further than some kicks, and grapples that range further than some punches; there is not even a real, distinct "punching range" or "kicking range" given the flexibility of motion available, beyond the obvious "very long reaching kicks probably have you out of punching range". Even then, does anyone just stand with their feet glued to the floor and attack in place? Space is always being renegotiated.

"Trapping range" doesn't really have any special claim to range that I can see. They may be great techniques, but they aren't possessed of a special space of their own.

Solid post!!

I think that trapping as a "range" certainly does exist as the "in-fighting" range. This is the range were elbows, knees and headbutts come in handy. It is tough to headbutt somebody from kicking range.(unless you are E. Honda) Yes, you may have to use other tools to get the fight to this range, but once there, the combatant who is the aggressor wants to keep it here. Headbutts, knees and elbows are better "fight enders" than punches and kicks IMHO, therefore i believe that if a combatant is proficient in establishing the fight in this range, he or she has a distinct advantage.

I think that trapping as a "range" certainly does exist as the "in-fighting" range. This is the range were elbows, knees and headbutts come in handy. It is tough to headbutt somebody from kicking range.(unless you are E. Honda) Yes, you may have to use other tools to get the fight to this range, but once there, the combatant who is the aggressor wants to keep it here. Headbutts, knees and elbows are better "fight enders" than punches and kicks IMHO, therefore i believe that if a combatant is proficient in establishing the fight in this range, he or she has a distinct advantage.

Solid post!!

It is tough to headbutt somebody from kicking range.
Eeeh. I've done it a couple times using cruz, it's not that big a deal. It's all in opportunity and available energy vectors. Both people should be able to adjust and negotiate ranges on the fly to use the tools they want using their tactics, movement, and the tactics of their opponent.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

It's amazing what one can do when one has to no matter the apparent and/or seemed constraints. Then later..."How'd I even do that?"

:P

It is tough to headbutt somebody from kicking range.
Eeeh. I've done it a couple times using cruz, it's not that big a deal. It's all in opportunity and available energy vectors. Both people should be able to adjust and negotiate ranges on the fly to use the tools they want using their tactics, movement, and the tactics of their opponent.

I understand the constant flow of changing ranges, but atleast for a split second, you or your opponent must get close enough for the weapon to reach the target. One does not simply stand on the outside and land a headbutt. The range must change.