• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo or BJJ for my 10 y/o son (wrestler)?

• 7 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta go with Judo on this one, but it depends on the quality of instruction. Here, I am blessed with a world class coach and most of our kids, that want to, enter wrestling and do very well.

I have very limited BJJ experience. Been to a couple of classes, rolled with several practitioners, and went to a couple of clinics is literally all the experience I have with the art. However I can tell you that all of the practitioners I have rolled with that did not also train in Judo or Wrestling had terrible takedowns/throws and defenses against them that involved going to the back which is bad for wrestling.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

• 1 month later...

Congrats ! And it all depends what you're looking for. Judo would help the wrestling quite a bit. There is also Ne-Waza (ground fighting) in Judo also. So you would get great knowledge that would only help the wrestling along with some ground fighting techniques. BJJ on the other hand would be great too. BJJ would be good if you're in a vulnerable position in wrestling and somehow manage to sweep or escape your opponent. Judo and BJJ ground game is much different. Judo is more about pinning your opponent into a dominate position while BJJ would be a lot of techniques off your back and so on. You're getting the best of both worlds either way ! Good luck with the Wresling bud !

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

• 9 months later...

Judo seems more similar to wrestling. It'd probably be better for his wrestling than BJJ would be. If it's not just about competing, you should put him on bjj for a little while too, so he learns a little more about how to defend himself on his back (which he probably won't learn as much in wrestling).