• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo or BJJ for my 10 y/o son (wrestler)?

My 10 year son is currently wrestling his second season. I'm a proud father as he just got a 2nd place in a tournament this past Saturday, and in his first year last year, he got 1 gold, 2 silvers, and 1 bronze in 4 tournaments.

For all you wrestlers out there who have done Judo and/or BJJ, what art would be best for him? I have taken a couple "stand up" arts in the past, but I have never taken any of these arts. We are both taking Shorin Ryu Karate now, but when wrestling season is done, wanted to sign him up for Judo or BJJ. I know some basics and pros and cons: Judo good for the stand up, but you dont wear gi's in wrestling to help with your throws/take downs...BJJ good on the ground, but a lot of the instruction is from the back and a wrestler should never be on his back.

Dont want to come off as one of those jerk fathers who pushes their son, of course I will take him out of something if his grades ever go down, or if I feel hes ever getting burnt out...but for now, he is enjoying both Karate and wrestling and he is doing well in school.

Thanks for any info guys.

Edited by Makaala4

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either art would be good for him. Meet both the coaches and go with the one who seems like they would be good at working with children.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I have a Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu background and it is my primary art. I have also taken both Judo and BJJ. Judo is a great tie-in for Shorin Ryu, but so is BJJ. Both BJJ and Judo have the same roots and are very close.

My question to you is, what are you looking for? What is the goal here?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

It could go either way.

As a general rule, if he wants to do more work from his feet and likes to throw, get him into Judo. If he'd rather work from the ground and do submissions and such, then go for the BJJ.

Of course, check out each class before signing up and get the general vibe of the place first. See where he'd fit better based on his personality and the personality of the classes.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

The Judo can be modified for his wrestling with no gi Karo Paryissan done this very well in his mma career. Also if he does no gi bjj it will work bueatifully with his wrestling. As far as bjj working off the back more this is true to some extent. Also he'll have to be able to make the transition from one to the other which should be that difficult for him. Let him see both in action then see where he stands on which one interests him more.

Thanks for the info guys.

UeshiroKarate: I was just looking for opinions as to which art would be better to help my son w/his wrestling. Would you happen to be in Brevard County, FL? My son and I are taking Ueshiro Shorin Ryu Karate here in Brevard County.

I love Judo, but many Judo throws are used in wrestling as well. Also, wrestling includes many takedowns that are illegal in Judo. Lastly, wrestling has far more practitioners. I would go with wrestling.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I love Judo, but many Judo throws are used in wrestling as well. Also, wrestling includes many takedowns that are illegal in Judo. Lastly, wrestling has far more practitioners. I would go with wrestling.

I believe the title was mistaken. He was asking about BJJ or Judo in the off-season to help with wrestling.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I believe the title was mistaken. He was asking about BJJ or Judo in the off-season to help with wrestling.

Clearly I misread his post also...or just skimmed it. Thanks for the heads up MP.

The only thing that will make him better at wrestling is more wrestling.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."