• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you have to be a black belt to have embroidery on your gi

Willard814

As far as Embroidery on a belt. I wouldn't want any on a belt under black belt. The biggest reason being that I would assume that you won't have a kyu rank belt for too long. At least that is the case in the systems our group associates with. I figure why spend the money to have a belt embroidered if you are only going to wear it for a year or less.

"I do not teach karate, bucause that alone is the art of empty hand fighting. I teach Karate-Do, which is a way of life. The longer you are in this Dojo the more you will understand the great difference between the two."

- Sensei Sherman Harrill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I don't see why Belt embroidery must be exclusive to Black Belts.

Rank is Rank and Names are Names.

Different things that should not be mixed in any kind of pride show.

Engraving Katakana or Kanji to your belt doesn't change anything regarding your rank and status in your dojo. Its still a coloured belt of a particular rank with nothing more than fancy engravings that 95% of us cannot even read anyway.

I don't think it should have to be. Like JusticeZero said, it would be a school/club decision, most likely, or in the case of an organization, the uniform and belt labeling may be layed out in the curriculum.

I think the biggest hiccup is that the major merchandising companies that sell belts and uniforms probably only embroider black belts. I've not seen any company like Kwon, Century, or other sell embroidered colored belts. But I haven't checked a catalog lately, either. So my guess is that one would have to get a colored belt custom embroidered by a local store or at home.

• 2 months later...