• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you have to be a black belt to have embroidery on your gi

Willard814

My mother-in-law bought me a Mugen yellow label gi this past Christmas and she had Ki International embroider my name on the gi jacket lapel and pants in Kanji. Do you have to be a certain rank to have embroidery on your gi? I study Shotokan Karate under ISKF (International Shotokan Karate Federation) I am currently an orange belt and I will be testing today (04/16/2012) for my green belt. Since my test will be administered at another dojo I didn't want to wear the gi in question and offend the dojo and sensel of said dojo.

There is no superior style only different levels...

Huo Yianjia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't see why having an embroider Gi would be offensive to anyone or why you should wait till you are a certain rank to wear it. There are a lot of people at my dojo that have this. I think it's more of a preference thing.

belts on the other hand I think should only be embroider at black, but thats just my opinion.

Embroidering your name on your gi is commonplace in MANY martial arts--it's extremely common in Judo, for example, and I've seen it in many karate styles. There's nothing wrong with putting your name on your gi--if you guys take off your gi periodically while training, or if you all have one dressing room, it's a very practical thing to do. I would just stay away from belt embroidery unless your instructor gets it for you as a gift.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

As with most things, ask your instructor. Very much depends on the style and school.

But yeah it is commonplace in a lot of styles to have your name embroidered on your gi.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree with the above who say, "speak with your instructor." What we all think matters little to what goes on in your individual school.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 3 months later...

In my dojo, you can't have any embroidery on your dobok until you are green belt. Any belt before that, than no. You're not allowed. I don't really see what the big deal is though. It's only embroidery.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• 4 months later...

Ask your Sensei. In my school and other school who follow our lineage you have to be a brown belt or above to have embroidery on your gi. And that is usually only the style of karate on the breast.

"I do not teach karate, bucause that alone is the art of empty hand fighting. I teach Karate-Do, which is a way of life. The longer you are in this Dojo the more you will understand the great difference between the two."

- Sensei Sherman Harrill

I don't see why Belt embroidery must be exclusive to Black Belts.

Rank is Rank and Names are Names.

Different things that should not be mixed in any kind of pride show.

Engraving Katakana or Kanji to your belt doesn't change anything regarding your rank and status in your dojo. Its still a coloured belt of a particular rank with nothing more than fancy engravings that 95% of us cannot even read anyway.

Yeah, it depends on the school. Different schools will have different routines regarding clothing standards that are unique to that club. One of the schools I have dealt with would use the wearing of a school t-shirt (normal training wear) rather than 'bring whatever' as an intermediate informal 'rank' between new student and receiving the first cord, for instance. That rank was at about the point where you knew all of the basic techniques by name, the basic routine of class, and be able to explain what was going on when various normal things were being done - 'You know the routine well enough to follow along, blend in as a student, and not do anything out of place'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia